[comp.sys.novell] net5 ??

dean@geac.com (Dean Wang) (06/05/91)

Is there a workstation shell (net5) for MS-DOS 5 ??

Dean

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun5.143236.13325@geac.com> dean@geac.com (Dean Wang) writes:

>Is there a workstation shell (net5) for MS-DOS 5 ??

     The announcement of MS-DOS version 5, as reported by the wire services,
seems to indicate that net5 (or its equivalent, whatever it is called) is
included on the DOS disks.
                                                  Dave

dmurray@ca.excelan.com (Duane Murray) (06/13/91)

In article <891@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
>In <1991Jun5.143236.13325@geac.com> dean@geac.com (Dean Wang) writes:
>
>>Is there a workstation shell (net5) for MS-DOS 5 ??
>

>     The announcement of MS-DOS version 5, as reported by the wire services,
>seems to indicate that net5 (or its equivalent, whatever it is called) is
>included on the DOS disks.
>                                                  Dave
This is correct.  From the press release:

"New York City - June 11, 1991 - Novell (r), Inc., developer of NetWare (r)
systems software, today announced that its NetWare client software, the NetWare
DOS Shell, is compatible with Microsoft (r) MS-DOS (r) operating system
version 5 and will be included with the new version of the MS-DOS 5 upgrade
for the first time."

It goes on to say how happy we are that Microsoft is bundling our stuff,
how happy users will be to discover the client built in, loadable in
high memory, and ready/able to task swap.

Duane Murray
Novell, Inc.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/13/91)

dmurray@ca.excelan.com (Duane Murray) writes:
>"New York City - June 11, 1991 - Novell (r), Inc., developer of NetWare (r)
>systems software, today announced that its NetWare client software, the NetWare
>DOS Shell, is compatible with Microsoft (r) MS-DOS (r) operating system
>version 5 and will be included with the new version of the MS-DOS 5 upgrade
>for the first time."
>It goes on to say how happy we are that Microsoft is bundling our stuff,
>how happy users will be to discover the client built in, loadable in
>high memory, and ready/able to task swap.

Now if only the Sun PC-NFS group would get a clue about what PC support
means from this example.

Fortunately, Sun isn't the only game in town. Not even in Unix.

--
He cleaned the victims' apartment and then killed them.

jay@iscnvx.uucp (Jay D Ward) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun5.143236.13325@geac.com> dean@geac.com (Dean Wang) writes:
>Is there a workstation shell (net5) for MS-DOS 5 ??
>
>Dean

Yes net5 is included. As of 6/13/91 net5, xmsnet5, and emsnet5 are
available on CompuServe. BUT...  xmsnet5 won't work if DOS is loaded
high (config.sys dos=high option). Happily, emsnet5 works well, and it
is also works in high memory. DOS's loadhigh and EMS emulation works,
but is lousy compared to QEMM. Don't throw away QEMM yet!

Jay D. Ward,  jay@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com