[comp.sys.novell] Printer Help needed

jvance@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jerry Vance) (06/13/91)

We have netware 2.15 installed and use a HPlaserjet II printer.  We deleted the
 banner page but everytime we send a document to print we get an extra page
from the printer.  Needless to say a lot of paper gets wasted.  Our rep who
helped install says that the HP needs to kick out a page to clean its buffer.
Help there must be a way to save this page.
--
Jerry Vance, Program Services, Department of Aviation, 292-5652

res8595@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (SCIPIONI, RE) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.174127.7458@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, jvance@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jerry Vance) writes...
>We have netware 2.15 installed and use a HPlaserjet II printer.  We deleted the
> banner page but everytime we send a document to print we get an extra page
>from the printer.  Needless to say a lot of paper gets wasted.  Our rep who
>helped install says that the HP needs to kick out a page to clean its buffer.
>Help there must be a way to save this page.
>--
>Jerry Vance, Program Services, Department of Aviation, 292-5652

Jerry,

I experienced a similar problem with a standard Epson printer.  It turned out
the the consultant that defined the printers had a form feed as part of the
<reset> mode in the printdef file.  Once I removed that particular ESC sequence
the "problem" was gone.  Hope this helps.

Bob Scipioni

gase@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Stephen T. Gase) (06/13/91)

Use the PRINTDEF utility to define printer initialization
and cleanup strings.  In particular, define the cleanup string
to contain the characters "<ESC>E", which tell the printer
to eject the page if there is anything to be printed on the
paper.  These definitions should already exist in Novell's
.PDF files (printer definition files) but need to be
imported through PRINTDEF.

Then use the PRINTCON program to set up job configurations
for each user, indicating the printer definition file and
the initialization sequence.  While you are in PRINTCON,
change the Suppress Form Feed selection to YES to get rid of
the extra formfeed.

After doing this (refer to the novell manuals for help),
the page is kicked out only when necessary and the formfeed
is no longer needed.

Steve

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (Dave Cartwright) (06/14/91)

jvance@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jerry Vance) writes:

>We have netware 2.15 installed and use a HPlaserjet II printer. We deleted the
>banner page but everytime we send a document to print we get an extra page
>from the printer.  Needless to say a lot of paper gets wasted.  Our rep who
>helped install says that the HP needs to kick out a page to clean its buffer.

	Please kick your rep somewhere painful for me - he doesn't deserve to
be called a rep if he doesn't know the product.

	I run Laserjet II's on 2.15, without banner pages. All you have to do
is set the capture (one assumes you're using capture) mode to :

	CAPTURE SERVER=<sname> QUEUE=<qname> NB NFF TI=n

	The NB tells it not to print a banner. The NFF means 'Don't kick out
a blank page at the end cod the printer already does so automatically.

	There may be a switch in the HP to set "Auto FF at end of document";
I don't know cos I've always used the factory settings. YES, the HP does
need to kick out a sheet to empty its buffer, but really all this is doing is
printing the last page. When it finds an End Of Document, it kicks out a page.
I reckon it was probably NetWare that was playing you up. The NFF should do it.

	As an aside, I also use Canon LBPII's. I use NetWare FF (not NFF) to
force a FF at the end of the document, and have disabled this facility in the
printer cos it started getting a bit unreliable. But LJII's should be OK, I
know mine is.

	Dave C

P.S. Sorry to post this rather than mailing, but I thought others may be
     interested.

--
 Dave Cartwright,               | cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk or uk.ac.uea.sys
 School of Information Systems, |   uucp : ...!ukc!uea-sys!cmp8118

dd@intuit.intuit.COM (David DelGreco) (06/16/91)

res8595@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (SCIPIONI, RE) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.174127.7458@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, jvance@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jerry Vance) writes...
>>We have netware 2.15 installed and use a HPlaserjet II printer.  We deleted the
>> banner page but everytime we send a document to print we get an extra page
>>from the printer.  Needless to say a lot of paper gets wasted.  Our rep who
>>helped install says that the HP needs to kick out a page to clean its buffer.
>>Help there must be a way to save this page.

>I experienced a similar problem with a standard Epson printer.  It turned out
>the the consultant that defined the printers had a form feed as part of the
><reset> mode in the printdef file.  Once I removed that particular ESC sequence
>the "problem" was gone.  Hope this helps.

We have the same problem.  We also work with software that requires printer
drivers.  When the HP receives a reset code "<Esc>E" it will spit out a page
IF some info already happens to be in it's buffer.  But if there is no info
in the buffer, then it won't print out a page.

But on our network, we get a page spit out AFTER every job.  Is that what is
happening to you, Jerry?

I'd love to find out why this is happening.  Seems to be coming from the
server, as far as I can tell.

David DelGreco
dd@intuit.com