[comp.sys.novell] Rolling Your Own Name Service

Startup@cup.portal.com (Startup Consulting Company) (06/15/91)

I'm wondering about the efficacy and limitations of different
approaches for rolling your own name service with Novell.  One
approach might be to logon to each server and read the bindery
and cache and sort all of the names on the various servers
into one master list.  Are there other approaches that others
have tried with any success?  Are there fatal limitations to
the approach I suggest?  I realize that Novell will (eventually)
have a name service.  I need something that doesn't cost any
additional money, and that is available to any combination of
286 and 386 servers.  I realize that my approach can't guarantee
up-to-the-moment accuracy, but it would give sufficient information
for my purpose (I hope).

Dave

timm@Sed.Novell.COM (Tim Myers) (06/17/91)

In article <43318@cup.portal.com> Startup@cup.portal.com (Startup
Consulting Company) writes:
> I'm wondering about the efficacy and limitations of different
> approaches for rolling your own name service with Novell.  One
> approach might be to logon to each server and read the bindery
> and cache and sort all of the names on the various servers
> into one master list.  Are there other approaches that others
> have tried with any success?  Are there fatal limitations to
> the approach I suggest?  I realize that Novell will (eventually)
> have a name service.  I need something that doesn't cost any
> additional money, and that is available to any combination of
> 286 and 386 servers.  I realize that my approach can't guarantee
> up-to-the-moment accuracy, but it would give sufficient information
> for my purpose (I hope).
>
> Dave

Novell *DOES* have a name service.  It's called Novell Name Service and
It works on both NetWare v2.2 and v3.11.  You pay money for it.  "Rolling
your own" would be redundant and your development costs would be greater
than the price of our solution.

++Tim

Tim Myers
Senior Software Consultant
Novell, Inc.
"Macintosh: the only GUI that doesn't SUCK."