[comp.sys.novell] Netware 3.11 and LocalTalk Printers

Stephen I Miller <similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> (06/17/91)

I am going to be setting up a NetWare 3.11 server shortly and I have a question
concerning routing print to an Apple LaserWriter.

Here is the configuration.

Compaq Deskpro 386 25, 610MB hard drive, 12MB of memory, and a 3Com EtherLink
Plus ethernet card.  All of our MACs are on ethernet.  All of our LaserWriters
are on PhoneNet.  We are connecting to the LaserWriters from the MACs via a
Kinetics FastPath 4.  My question is will I be able to connect to the
LaserWriters from the DOS machines with this configuration or do I need to buy
a Dayna DL2000 card and put it in the server just for the printers?  Is the
DL2000 card the only one that will work, if I must go this route?  I believe
that we have a Novell NL1000 in a Netware 2.15 server that is no longer being
used (the NL1000 is not used, the server is still in use).  I seem to remember
some traffic on here awhile back about the NL1000 not being supported under
Netware 3.11 but I can't remember the specifics.  Oh yes, all of out MACs are
AppleTalk Phase II.

Thanks in advance for any help.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
Name:       Steve Miller           |  The Ohio State University
Internet:   STEVE-MILLER+@OSU.EDU  |  Academic Computing Services
CompuServe: 76702,1522             |  Rm. 406 Baker Systems
Phone:      614-292-4843           |  1971 Neil Avenue
FAX:        614-292-7081           |  Columbus, Ohio 43210-1210

timm@Sed.Novell.COM (Tim Myers) (06/18/91)

In article <9106171239.AA13881@top.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> Stephen I
Miller <similler@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> I am going to be setting up a NetWare 3.11 server shortly and I have a
> question concerning routing print to an Apple LaserWriter.
> All of our MACs are on ethernet.  All of our LaserWriters are on
> PhoneNet. We are connecting to the LaserWriters from the MACs via a
> Kinetics FastPath 4.  My question is will I be able to connect to the
> LaserWriters from the DOS machines with this configuration?

Yes, your DOS users will print to a queue on the server.

> or do I need to buy a Dayna DL2000 card and put it in the server just for
> the printers?

No. The NetWare for Macintosh v3.0 print server can target printers
anywhere on an AppleTalk internet. Your FastPath is routing between
EtherTalk and LocalTalk so you will not need a LocalTalk card in the
server.

++Tim

Tim Myers
Senior Software Consultant
Novell, Inc.
"Macintosh: the only GUI that doesn't SUCK."