[comp.sys.novell] MSDOS 5.0 with novell problem

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ullrich Fischer) (06/18/91)

The following started happening on a 386-33 mhz PC this afternoon.  Prior to
that we were able to log onto the network using MSDOS 5.0

With @echo off as the first line of the autoexec.bat file
    NET5.COM was able to attach to a server but a login command
    in the autoexec.bat file fails with 'error sending on the network,
abort/retry'

With   echo off   as the first line of the autoexec.bat file,

   NET5.COM was unable to find a server.

With the echo off line REMarked out in the first line of the autoexec.bat,
everything works fine.
We tried inserting pauses after loading IPX and after NET5 but still got the
above results.    We are on 2.15c netware using SMC arcnet adaptors.

Any clues as to what might be going on here would be greatly appreciated.

--
- Ullrich Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca   (Let's just have 1 line signatures eh?)

graham@octogard (06/20/91)

Ullrich_Fischer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ullrich Fischer) writes:

[description of problem deleted]

> We are on 2.15c netware using SMC Arcnet adaptors.
> Any clues as to what might be going on here would be greatly appreciated.

As I recall, SMC Arcnet adaptors have a default port address of 0x2E0.  It has
been a while since I configured a system with an SMC Arcnet card, but I use
DTK Arcnet all the time, and DTK Arcnet is generally a very close clone of
SMC.  I encountered all sorts of interesting problems using port 0x2E0, and
eventually tracked it down to a conflict with the 0x2E8 address of COM4.  It
seems that many programs 'touch' all the COM ports during initialization,
even if the ports aren't installed, and in some cases even if the program
has no obvious use for COM ports.  This makes for some rather flaky and
difficult-to-track-down problems.

My solution has been to use port adress 0x300 for all my Arcnet.  I have not
yet found any mainstream hardware which conflicts with 0x300 in its default
configuration, though there are many cards which can be configured to use
that address.

The only problem is that the NetWare RX-Net drivers don't support all
available IRQ and memory address settings in combination with port 0x300.
My preferred settings are IRQ5, memory buffer at 0xD000:0, and port address
0x300.  This is not a setting which is supported by the Novell RX-Net
drivers, and I'm not sure of Novell's policy on reverse engineering and
modification of their drivers.  It's trivial (though I do not necessarily
admit guilt :-), but I expect it is unsupported at best.

Are there any Novell people qualified to comment?

---
UUCP: [backbone]!duke!wolves!chatham!octogard!graham
The Octopus's Garden BBS +1 919 876 7213