[comp.sys.novell] Hooking up a Mac to ethernet...

douglas@netcom.COM (Douglas Mason) (06/21/91)

Here is the situation:

We are running Netware 3.11, 20 user, for a couple of software-development
machines.  These are all PC-based machines.  We also have a Macintosh IIfx
that sits alone, mostly due to ignorance.

Here is the question:

What is involved in getting this thing on the network?  What type of hardware
do we need as far as an ethernet card, what brands are the ones to get/avoid?

What software is needed?  Is any of it included in Netware?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

--
Douglas Mason                                    douglas@netcom.COM
Technical Support Services                       douglas@netcom.UUCP

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (Dave Cartwright) (06/21/91)

douglas@netcom.COM (Douglas Mason) writes:

>Here is the question:
>What is involved in getting this thing on the network?  What type of hardware
>do we need as far as an ethernet card, what brands are the ones to get/avoid?
>What software is needed?  Is any of it included in Netware?

	You need NetWare for Mac ... it's around 100 quid in England. I don't
know about NW3.x, but I think a little bit of reconfiguration might be needed
(though I'm pretty sure you can keep Mac docs on a standard PC NW partition).
No, it doesn't come as standard with NetWare, but somewhere in the box should
be a little card that you send off if you want it.

	Hope that helps a little bit,

		Dave C--
 Dave Cartwright,               | cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk or uk.ac.uea.sys
 School of Information Systems, |   uucp : ...!ukc!uea-sys!cmp8118
 University of East Anglia,     | "Reality is an illusion brought on by
 Norwich, ENGLAND. NR4 7TJ.     |         lack of alcohol ..."