[comp.sys.novell] PathWorks for DOS NetWare Coexistence Product from DEC

mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/19/91)

Anybody out there know anything about a new product from Digital
Equipment Corp. called "PathWorks for DOS NetWare Coexistence"?

As I understand it, it became available this month.  It has various
files and utilities to allow one to set up a workstation to use NetWare
and PathWorks simultaneously (using both file and print services on
DEC PathWorks servers and Novell NetWare servers simultaneously).
The coexistence product is supposed to provide a replacement of the
DEC NETSETUP.EXE utility.  It is also supposed to have the necessary
files to create a new IPX.COM that is NDIS compliant.

The main drawback seems to be that both the NetWare and PathWorks
workstation software must be loaded simultaneously.

I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has used and/or seen
this product.

Thanks.

E-mail preferred.

RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.170710.31534@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
mcginnis@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:

>Anybody out there know anything about a new product from Digital
>Equipment Corp. called "PathWorks for DOS NetWare Coexistence"?
>
>As I understand it, it became available this month.  It has various
>files and utilities to allow one to set up a workstation to use NetWare
>and PathWorks simultaneously (using both file and print services on
>DEC PathWorks servers and Novell NetWare servers simultaneously).
>The coexistence product is supposed to provide a replacement of the
>DEC NETSETUP.EXE utility.  It is also supposed to have the necessary
>files to create a new IPX.COM that is NDIS compliant.
>
>The main drawback seems to be that both the NetWare and PathWorks
>workstation software must be loaded simultaneously.

I haven't seen the product, or and documents on it, but I have heard some
stuff about it. Some departments here use Netware, some PCSA, so we're
interested in it.

But before I spend a lot of time trying to get it to work, I was wondering
whether I can just run IPX-NDIS along side Pathworks, and if so, what
problems am I likely to encounter.

Pathworks in an MS-Net compatible OS, and uses MSs REDIR. Netware uses
some different tricks to achieve the same effect. Will these conflict.

Pathworks will only use drive letters below LASTDRIVE, Netware uses drive
letters after LASTDRIVE.

If you run windows, over such a combination (if it works) do you set windows
up for Netware (better interface) or Microsoft Network?

I'd welcome any input anyone has on any of these questions.

Thanks.
Aengus

--
RBYAML@ROHMHAAS.COM                    Aengus Lawlor
RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET                   (who used to be ALAWLOR@DIT.IE)

j_pan@ranger.enet.dec.com (Joanna Pan) (06/22/91)

In article <91170.134031RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET>, RBYAML@ROHVM1.BITNET (Aengus Lawlor) writes...

>But before I spend a lot of time trying to get it to work, I was wondering
>whether I can just run IPX-NDIS along side Pathworks, and if so, what
>problems am I likely to encounter.

Yes, you can. You would run the DLLNDIS first, then the IPXNDIS, and then bind
them together. I am running Pathworks with NetWare Co-Existence, and I am happy
with it so far.

>Pathworks in an MS-Net compatible OS, and uses MSs REDIR. Netware uses
>some different tricks to achieve the same effect. Will these conflict.

I have not seen any problem yet.

>Pathworks will only use drive letters below LASTDRIVE, Netware uses drive
>letters after LASTDRIVE.

So, make sure your lastdrive is not z. Otherwise, you won't see NetWare.

>If you run windows, over such a combination (if it works) do you set windows
>up for Netware (better interface) or Microsoft Network?

It does work. I set it up for Microsoft Network to access some printers which
cannot be accessed via NetWare. I don't know the effect of setting up for
NetWare.

	Joanna Pan

graham@octogard (06/23/91)

j_pan@ranger.enet.dec.com (Joanna Pan) writes:

> So, make sure your lastdrive is not z. Otherwise, you won't see NetWare.

Actually, if lastdrive is set to z, you can still access the login directory
under NetWare.  Just log to [:\LOGIN -- scary, but it works.  And once
you've logged in from your [: drive, you can map your NetWare drives to
regular drive letters with the MAP command.

This trick saved me from a rather nasty situation with a combination Novell
and Lantastic network once...

---
UUCP: [backbone]!duke!wolves!chatham!octogard!graham
The Octopus's Garden BBS +1 919 876 7213