[comp.sys.novell] MS/DOS directories

brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) (06/26/91)

I'd like to know why Novell wants you to put a seperate directory on your file
server for every flavor of DOS you're running with all the DOS system files.  I
don't know how many versions we're running here, but it's probably around 5-10.
Since none of our workstations are diskless, I don't see why I need to keep
this stuff hanging around on our fileserver.  Any input on this would be
appreciated(e-mail will suffice).........mcb
--
Mark Brinich
voice mail(or maybe the real live thing)216 498-2821

dysart@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mitchell D Dysart) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.192003.18195@keinstr.uucp> brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:
>I'd like to know why Novell wants you to put a seperate directory on your file
>server for every flavor of DOS you're running with all the DOS system files.  I
>don't know how many versions we're running here, but it's probably around 5-10.
>Since none of our workstations are diskless, I don't see why I need to keep
>this stuff hanging around on our fileserver.  Any input on this would be
>appreciated(e-mail will suffice).........mcb

Please respond by posting to the newsgroup instead of just e-mail.  I'm
also interested in this topic.
--

Mitch Dysart
dysart@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

bob@Armstrong.EDU (Bob Fawcett) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.203522.27336@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> dysart@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mitchell D Dysart) writes:
>In article <1991Jun25.192003.18195@keinstr.uucp> brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:
>>I'd like to know why Novell wants you to put a seperate directory on your file
>>server for every flavor of DOS you're running with all the DOS system files.  I
>>don't know how many versions we're running here, but it's probably around 5-10.
>>Since none of our workstations are diskless, I don't see why I need to keep
>>this stuff hanging around on our fileserver.  Any input on this would be
>>appreciated(e-mail will suffice).........mcb

I believe this is only nescessary if you want DOS files accessed from the file
server.  I set up my system login script to map a search drive to DOS files for
everyone.  That way all my diskless systems work.  Then I create a group for
machines with local hard disks that have DOS files local.  I can then change
any machine from local DOS to file server by moving them to that group.  My
system login script has a line like
"If member of HDBIN then begin
	map s2:=c:\bin
	other useful changes
end"
This remaps the search drive I mapped previously to the local DOS files.  Also
I run only one version of DOS for diskless machines.  This way I only have one
DOS directory on the server.

>Please respond by posting to the newsgroup instead of just e-mail.  I'm
>also interested in this topic.
>--
>
>Mitch Dysart
>dysart@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Bob Fawcett		|   bob@pirates.armstrong.edu  |   Internet
Academic Computing	|   bob@pirates.uucp	       |   UUCP
Armstrong State College	|   11935 Abercorn Street      |   Savannah, GA 31419

cfrank@dogmatix.cs.uoregon.edu (Christian Frank) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.192003.18195@keinstr.uucp> brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:
>I'd like to know why Novell wants you to put a seperate directory on your file
>server for every flavor of DOS you're running with all the DOS system files.  I
>don't know how many versions we're running here, but it's probably around 5-10.
>Since none of our workstations are diskless, I don't see why I need to keep
>this stuff hanging around on our fileserver.
>--
>Mark Brinich

The reason to keep DOS on the server is the same as for any application program,
you just have one copy lying around. This saves diskspace and eases updating
(have you ever updated 30 PCs one by one?). If this is done consequently you
won't end up with 5-10 different flavors of DOS in the first place (if you
buy an update for every machine).

The reason why Novell allows different versions of DOS on the server is that
some applications require specific versions of DOS and won't run with any
other (As DOS is unfortunately not really upward-compatible).

Christian
Christian Frank  | Dingelingnet: (503)-343-9423
Computer Science | Internet    : cfrank@cs.uoregon.edu
Univ. of Oregon  | Bitnet      : cfrank@oregon.uoregon.edu

will@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (William Sadler) (06/26/91)

In <1991Jun25.192003.18195@keinstr.uucp> brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:

>I'd like to know why Novell wants you to put a seperate directory on your file
>server for every flavor of DOS you're running with all the DOS system files.  I
>don't know how many versions we're running here, but it's probably around 5-10.
>Since none of our workstations are diskless, I don't see why I need to keep
>this stuff hanging around on our fileserver.

I wasn't aware that they *wanted* anyone to do anything, but I have been
doing this because I have many workstations that do not have hard drives.
Putting DOS on the network allows these workstations to have full DOS
functionality without placing two disks in the machine.  This means they
can use those drives for other more important stuff.

Each version of DOS goes into a directory als so:

sys:\msdos\v3.30

There is then a line in the system login script that sets comspec to
the version of DOS the boot machine uses:

map ins s1:=sys:\%OS\%OS_VERSION
comspec = s1:command.com

The only problem I have encountered is that DOS 4.0 and 4.01 are not
differentiated by the OS_VERSION variable.  You do not have to do this.
A "comspec = c:\command.com" in each users login script will work just
fine if they all have hard drives.

Will
*   _______________\|/_      Will Sadler     will@cica.indiana.edu        *
*   Laser 44888    /|\                       sadler@iubacs.bitnet         *