[comp.sys.novell] Problems launching Macintosh files on a Novell server

ray@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jeff Ray) (06/22/91)

(Apologies for any breachs of net etiquette; I'm very much the novice at this.)

This one has me completely stumped.  I hope someone has some insight they might
be willing to share.  We are running a Novell (v3.11) network, and supporting
Macintoshes via the Netware for Macintosh v2.0 VAPs on an external PC.  The PC
is running the new router software that came with 3.11.  The Macs are all at
System 6.0.7, with the System 7.0 printer drivers (but that shouldn't come into
play here).  Major applications are Word and AutoCAD.

Here's the problem:  we are have a great deal of trouble launching from data
files stored on the server.  The symptoms tend to fall into three major
categories:

1)  Files will not launch unless first unlocked.

2)  Files will not launch at all, but may be opened from within the application
    that created them.

3)  "Type" in View By Name frequently displays the filename of some other file
    on the server, rather than the correct creator's type.

The data fork does not appear to be corrupted.  The information returned by
ResEdit appears to be correct.  Reinstalling the desktop files (using MACSETUP)
only changes one set of symptoms for another, as does using Norton Utilities
for Macintosh on the server from accross the net, and then rebuilding the
desktop.  (However, Norton does consistently see something wrong with the
bundle bits; it just doesn't seem to be able to fix it.)

Thanks in advance for any help posted.

Jeff Ray (ray@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov)
Woodside Summit Group, Inc./NASA Dryden Flight Research Center

cy@dbase.a-t.com (Cy Shuster) (06/27/91)

In article <956@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> ray@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jeff Ray) writes:
>Here's the problem:  we are have a great deal of trouble launching from data
>files stored on the server.  The symptoms tend to fall into three major
>categories:
>
>1)  Files will not launch unless first unlocked.

If the correct application starts up, but then complains about the file
being locked, this would seem to point to a problem with the Desktop
file (as you've explored), since this is where the Finder information
about the lock status is stored.

>2)  Files will not launch at all, but may be opened from within the application
>    that created them.
>
>3)  "Type" in View By Name frequently displays the filename of some other file
>    on the server, rather than the correct creator's type.

Both of these problems indicate problems with the Desktop. Perhaps in #2
you have to hold down the option key before selecting "File:Open" in order
to see the file?

>The data fork does not appear to be corrupted.  The information returned by
>ResEdit appears to be correct.  Reinstalling the desktop files (using MACSETUP)
>only changes one set of symptoms for another, as does using Norton Utilities
>for Macintosh on the server from accross the net, and then rebuilding the
>desktop.  (However, Norton does consistently see something wrong with the
>bundle bits; it just doesn't seem to be able to fix it.)

In ResEdit, choose "Get Info" from the File menu (or use DiskTop) to
verify the four-character creator and type information: this is what
seems to be wrong. Also remember that everyone will need *write* permission
(and perhaps a few other Novell-specific permissions - anyone?) to
the Desktop file. If the bundle bits are not set, then the correct
resources won't be put into the Desktop to describe the applications.

Try moving the applications off the server; nuking the old Desktop;
check the applications on your local disk with Norton to make sure
the bundle bits are set; recopy the applications to the server volume
(which should then update the Desktop's bundle resources); *then*
rebuild the Desktop.

--Cy--
Mac Development
cy@dbase.a-t.com

|dBASE IV RunTime PLUS shares data *and* code with PC dBASE: ask me how!|