[comp.sys.novell] 3.11 install-General Protection Processor Exception!

sylvia@brahms.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) (06/27/91)

Here we go again!...what did I do wrong this time?!  Two new 3.11
installations...easy! piece of cake!  Wrong!  Actually, the installation
went fine.  Got the LAN drivers from the manufacturer's BBS, loaded
okay, although got a message saying that there were old API calls, and
that the drivers should be upgraded ASAP...everything else seemed to go
fine.  Created new workstation shells, and IPX'd...no
problem...NET4...no problem...attached to each server in turn, BUT...
execute LOGIN.EXE and the server ABENDS!!!

ABEND: General Protection Processor Exception (Error Code 00000000)
	OS Version Novell NetWare 3.11 (250 user) 2/20/91
	Running Process: Server 01 Process
STACK:
	CB E9 04 00 9E 6D 10 00 76 23 06 00 A3 68 10 00
	76 23 06 00 80 3C 18 00 2C 23 06 00 00 00 00 00
	40 1C 19 00 00 68 10 00 E0 83 00 00 01 00 00 00

And of course I had the option of dumping to diskettes, but I didn't
have 12 formatted diskettes hanging around at the time.  Here's the
hardware configuration:

	IBM PS/2 Model 80 (16 MHz, so I'm told...yup, they're oldies)
	310 Mb ESDI hard drive in first machine
	(2) 70 Mb ESDI hard drives in second machine
	12 Mb RAM in each machine
	Cabletron 3010x NIC in each machine
	DayStar Digital LT200MC card for Localtalk in first machine

I am willing to accept that I left out something somewhere, even in both
installs, but darned if I can figure out what!  Any help would be dearly
appreciated!  8-)

The error message manual doesn't have me do anything more than copy the
dump to disk and call an NSO.  ARRRGHGHGH!!!  It's never simple!!

Thanks in advance to all.  ...  Syl

in other, two 70 Mb ESDI hard drives

alcocer@parc.xerox.com (Dario Alcocer) (06/27/91)

sylvia@brahms.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) writes:
>Here we go again!...what did I do wrong this time?!  Two new 3.11
>installations...easy! piece of cake!  Wrong!  Actually, the installation
>went fine.  Got the LAN drivers from the manufacturer's BBS, loaded
>okay, although got a message saying that there were old API calls, and
>that the drivers should be upgraded ASAP...everything else seemed to go
>fine.  Created new workstation shells, and IPX'd...no
>problem...NET4...no problem...attached to each server in turn, BUT...
>execute LOGIN.EXE and the server ABENDS!!!

>ABEND: General Protection Processor Exception (Error Code 00000000)
>	OS Version Novell NetWare 3.11 (250 user) 2/20/91
>	Running Process: Server 01 Process
>STACK:
>	CB E9 04 00 9E 6D 10 00 76 23 06 00 A3 68 10 00
>	76 23 06 00 80 3C 18 00 2C 23 06 00 00 00 00 00
>	40 1C 19 00 00 68 10 00 E0 83 00 00 01 00 00 00

>And of course I had the option of dumping to diskettes, but I didn't
>have 12 formatted diskettes hanging around at the time.  Here's the
>hardware configuration:

I'm not much sure how much use it will be to you, but you my try typing
'386debug' after the ABEND dump to get to the debugger; at this point you
can type '.h' to get a list of commands.  In this list there is (as far as
I can remember) a command to print out which NLM caused the ABEND.  Hopefully
this way you find out if the outdated .LAN drivers might have caused the problem.

>	IBM PS/2 Model 80 (16 MHz, so I'm told...yup, they're oldies)
>	310 Mb ESDI hard drive in first machine
>	(2) 70 Mb ESDI hard drives in second machine
>	12 Mb RAM in each machine
>	Cabletron 3010x NIC in each machine
>	DayStar Digital LT200MC card for Localtalk in first machine

>I am willing to accept that I left out something somewhere, even in both
>installs, but darned if I can figure out what!  Any help would be dearly
>appreciated!  8-)

>The error message manual doesn't have me do anything more than copy the
>dump to disk and call an NSO.  ARRRGHGHGH!!!  It's never simple!!

Another option is to get on Compuserver and 'go nova' to see if you can get
new drivers for the ESDI disks, and possibly other NLM's for IBM PS/2's;
I remember there being quite a few patches to several of the stock NLMs
for PS/2 Micro Channel support.  Maybe something about your configuration has
been documented as troublesome on NETWIRE.

Hope this helps...

 +--------+\ Dario Alcocer
 +-----------+

--

beecher@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ben Beecher) (06/28/91)

In article <22450@brahms.udel.edu> sylvia@brahms.udel.edu (Sylvia M Berta) writes:
>Here we go again!...what did I do wrong this time?!  Two new 3.11
>installations...easy! piece of cake!  Wrong!  Actually, the installation
>went fine.  Got the LAN drivers from the manufacturer's BBS, loaded
>okay, although got a message saying that there were old API calls, and
>that the drivers should be upgraded ASAP...everything else seemed to go
>fine.  Created new workstation shells, and IPX'd...no
>problem...NET4...no problem...attached to each server in turn, BUT...
>execute LOGIN.EXE and the server ABENDS!!!
>
>ABEND: General Protection Processor Exception (Error Code 00000000)
>	OS Version Novell NetWare 3.11 (250 user) 2/20/91
>	Running Process: Server 01 Process
>STACK:
>	CB E9 04 00 9E 6D 10 00 76 23 06 00 A3 68 10 00
>	76 23 06 00 80 3C 18 00 2C 23 06 00 00 00 00 00
>	40 1C 19 00 00 68 10 00 E0 83 00 00 01 00 00 00

I noticed you are using a Cabletron Ethernet board in your file
server.  I was using the the Cabletron 2010X and my Dell 486 file
server kept crashing until I replaced the Cabletron board with a 3Com
3C503 Etherlink II board.

Apparently the 2010X does not support Ethernet_II and Ethernet_slip
protocols at the same time.  I got the most recent packet driver from
Cabletron (DNI version 1.12) but the problem is still there.

I think your best bet would be to try a "Netware Certified" board in
your server such as a 3Com board or a Novell board, e.g. NE2000.  If
that works you can use the Cabletron board in one of your
workstations.  You might need to remove the LocalTalk board while you
are testing this.  According to Novell the Dayna DL2000 is the only
LocalTalk board that works with Netware 3.11.  I found out it works in
polled mode but not using interrupts.  But that's another story...

>And of course I had the option of dumping to diskettes, but I didn't
>have 12 formatted diskettes hanging around at the time.  Here's the
>hardware configuration:
>
>	IBM PS/2 Model 80 (16 MHz, so I'm told...yup, they're oldies)
>	310 Mb ESDI hard drive in first machine
>	(2) 70 Mb ESDI hard drives in second machine
>	12 Mb RAM in each machine
>	Cabletron 3010x NIC in each machine
>	DayStar Digital LT200MC card for Localtalk in first machine
>
>I am willing to accept that I left out something somewhere, even in both
>installs, but darned if I can figure out what!  Any help would be dearly
>appreciated!  8-)
>
>The error message manual doesn't have me do anything more than copy the
>dump to disk and call an NSO.  ARRRGHGHGH!!!  It's never simple!!
>
>Thanks in advance to all.  ...  Syl

>in other, two 70 Mb ESDI hard drives

Ben Beecher		beecher@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Network Planning	212-854-7439