[comp.sys.novell] Mailreader for PC...like Eudora ?

buckij@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Jonathan S. Bucki) (06/19/91)

Hello,

I'm looking for a PC-UNIX mailreader for use on a novell network.  I can't use
something like a pegasus/charon setup because we'd like to keep all the
mail on a centralized mail server instead of dishing it out to many
machines.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jonathan Bucki
St. Olaf ACC
buckij@acc.stolaf.edu

mikeo@.usc.edu (Mike O'Rourke) (06/19/91)

There is a popmail program available via anonymous ftp from
boombox.micro.umn.edu.  It is popmail.exe in the
\pub\POPmail\msdos\version_2.1.0 directory.  There were some changes
that I was waiting for before using it myself, but perhaps it will
suit your needs.

--
Mike O'Rourke                                   Internet: mikeo@usc.edu
PC Consultant/Network Analyst        		UUCP:     ...!uunet!usc!mikeo

marty@wwoh.com (Martin B. Winston) (06/20/91)

buckij@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Jonathan S. Bucki) writes:

> I'm looking for a PC-UNIX mailreader for use on a novell network.

One way is to install Waffle and run uucico from cronjr.

If you have MHS, there's a UGATE UUCP gateway now in beta - should be
downloadable from CompuServe NOVA by next month - that can handle
UNIX-MHS conversions (both directions) for mail.

__________/\/\.\/\/.      "May all your sins be original, or good copies."
        Marty Winston
 | Martin B. Winston, APR |  Compuserve: 71327,1266 |  uunet!wwoh!marty |\
 | Russell, OH 44072      |  MHS: Marty@WWOH        |  BIX: MartyWW     | |
 | (216) 338-8400         |  fax: 216-338-8117      |  WB8LBV           | |
 |________________________|_________________________|___________________| |
  \______________________________________________________________________\|

michel@csi.uottawa.ca (Michel Racine) (06/26/91)

Jonathan Bucki was saying:

>I'm looking for a PC-UNIX mailreader for use on a novell network.  I can't use
>something like a pegasus/charon setup because we'd like to keep all the
>mail on a centralized mail server instead of dishing it out to many
>machines.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been investigating this area in the past few weeks for our own needs.
We evaluated both POP clients and charon.

Popmail and pcpop use the
post-office protocol and do give you centralized mail, which is great. But
one major requirement was to let the PC user know about mail just being
received (sort of like biff). None of the popmail clients that we saw
allowed you to do that. They also could not tell you that you had mail
when you logged in to novell. Another negative aspect was that both software
had annoying interfaces and 'features'... (eg: popmail cannot display
more than 4 pages of a mail message).

The combination of charon/pmail poses the disadvantage of decentralizing
mail (we are in the process of setting it up, so I don't know exactly
how decentralized - eg, when you send mail from pc to pc, can you force
it to go to the unix host first?). But charon will notify you when
mail just came in. Pmail has an excellent user interface. Charon also
gives you seamless network-wide printing between unix and novell,
which is something else we are after...

I have not come up with a final decision yet, but charon/pmail are likely
to win. Please let me know if you find other means of doing this. I haven't
examined MHS from Novell. What can it give? Is it still decentralized? Are
there other pop clients (other than popmail and pcpop)? Do you know how
to make them biff novell users when they receive mail?

Cheers!

--
Michel Racine                           | e-mail: michel@csi.uottawa.ca
Department of Computer Science          |

moore@esseye.UUCP (David Moore) (06/27/91)

>I have not come up with a final decision yet, but charon/pmail are likely
>to win. Please let me know if you find other means of doing this. I haven't
>examined MHS from Novell. What can it give? Is it still decentralized? Are
>there other pop clients (other than popmail and pcpop)? Do you know how
>to make them biff novell users when they receive mail?

What's the  matter  with cc:Mail? It works great for  us and there are
lots of applications written which utilize it (like NetWork Scheduler --
a shareable calendar).
--
David Moore                    | moore@si.com
Smiths Industries              |

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (06/29/91)

moore@esseye.UUCP (David Moore) writes:
>What's the  matter  with cc:Mail? It works great for  us and there are
>lots of applications written which utilize it (like NetWork Scheduler --
>a shareable calendar).

It's expensive.  It doesn't have a built-in Internet/SMTP-compatible
interface; you pay extra and have to set up a dedicated PC.  And
cc:Mail, an independent company, was recently bought out by Lotus.
Lotus is litigious and will get as little of my business as I can
give it.

My company uses cc:Mail and most users are happy with it, but I don't
like the configuration problems which have resulted from our move
to integrate our Novell LAN with other networks.

-rich