[comp.sys.novell] Nos of Users

clive@cs.uq.oz.au (Clive Mason) (06/28/91)

	If you purchase a licence for 100 users does this mean that you
can only have 100 login names or does this mean you can have more than
100 login names with only 100 users(the max number) logged in at the
same time. Any help received with this question is fully appreciated.

--
Clive Mason					       		       _--_|\
Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Queensland			      /      X

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman,WWH 318,212-998-3045,718-499-7815) (06/28/91)

100 = 100 simultaneous connections; this includes both users at workstations
and devices like print servers which connect to the server.  You can have
lots more accounts.  But I think you would have a problem if you tried to have
more than 100 PCs all connect to the server (e.g. at boot time), even if
everyone doesn't try to log in: a connection is established between a PC
and server when the netware shell is loaded (usually at boot time).

  What I've never tried is this:

  100 users log in, so no more can
  1 user logs out (so the server now describes that connection as
     "not logged in")
  1 user at a different pc turns his pc on, and an attempt is made to
     connect to the server (when NETx is run) and then log in.

  I am reasonably certain this will fail, as there are no open connection
  slots for this 101st person. Presumably, however, if this person who
  logged out would be so kind as to turn off his machine, then the server
  will eventually notice that the connection is no longer valid.

Could someone confirm this?  (No manuals handy!)

 - Gary Chapman, NYU

jeffd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (06/29/91)

In article <23190005@acf3.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman,WWH 318,212-998-3045,718-499-7815) writes:

>  What I've never tried is this:
>
>  100 users log in, so no more can
>  1 user logs out (so the server now describes that connection as
>     "not logged in")
>  1 user at a different pc turns his pc on, and an attempt is made to
>     connect to the server (when NETx is run) and then log in.
>
>  I am reasonably certain this will fail, as there are no open connection
>  slots for this 101st person. Presumably, however, if this person who
>  logged out would be so kind as to turn off his machine, then the server
>  will eventually notice that the connection is no longer valid.
>
>Could someone confirm this?  (No manuals handy!)
>
> - Gary Chapman, NYU

Novell has an API call DetachFromFileServer that will relinquish the
connection number at the file server.  The Logout and LogoutFromFileServer
calls do not detach from the server which means the connection numbers that
the workstation was using are still in use by that workstation.  Whether
or not the Novell LOGOUT utility does a Detach call when you logout is
unknown.  It might for servers other than the default.  A Detach call also
removes all drive mappings to that server which means your F:\LOGIN drive will
disappear when you Detach.  A very simple program can be written to issue
the Detach call from all the servers that the workstation has in its server
connection table.  (Anybody need it?)

Novell Netware 2.2 and above have a programmable WATCHDOG command at the
server console to clear connection numbers after a specified period of time.
I don't have any experience in using this command but I guess it's suppose
to clear out the connections of users who've logged out but not turned off
the machine and thus allow others to use the connection slot on the server.

jeffd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu