[comp.sys.novell] ISASISK.DSK / lost interrupts

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch (06/27/91)

I am running 386 3.10 Rev.A on a 386/33MHz/4M-RAM with two mirrored
Seagate AT-BUS disks ST1239A (211 Megs).
This is a test-net and only one workstation is connected.

Starting the server brings up the following message:

   Expected interrupt number missing or invalid
   Supported interrupt number values are E,F,B,C
   Interrupt number : E

The E in the last line is blinking and seems to be the default.

Accepting E and pressing ENTER loads the machine. I can login to the server, I
can work etc., everything seems perfect (seen from the workstation).

However, on the server I get randomly in time (sometimes nothing for ten
minutes, sometimes five times a minute, depending what I am doing) the
following message:

   "Interrupt controller detected a lst hardware interrupt"

The company's rep told me this is normal, because the ISADISK.DSK cannot
handle correctly AT-BUS disks bigger than 120 Megs. He ensured me that this has
absolutely no influence on the functionality of my system because AT-BUS disks
do not work with interrupts.

Well, here my questions:

1. Are this statements absolutely correct?

2. Is there a driver that solves my problem (if everything is ok, I don't
   wonna see error messages!)?

3. From which ftp-site can I download such a driver?

thanx a lot to the experts ...........

bye ....................................................................  Didi

*  Universitas Basiliensis                                       InfoCenter  *

greg@irl.ise.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun27.095030.1669@urz.unibas.ch> infocenter@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>However, on the server I get randomly in time (sometimes nothing for ten
>minutes, sometimes five times a minute, depending what I am doing) the
>following message:
>
>   "Interrupt controller detected a lost hardware interrupt"
>2. Is there a driver that solves my problem (if everything is ok, I don't
>   wonna see error messages!)?

We just got a new machine for our server at the same time we are upgrading
from 2.15C to 3.11.  I ran through the install stuff, accepted all defaults,
and got the thing booted up.  Same as you, I got error number 1.1.140 which
said "Primary interrupt controller detected a lost hardware interrupt" (which
of course was not listed in the manual under P for Primary but I for interrupt.)

I called my hardware vendor and he said another customer had the same thing,
they called Novell and were told that it was because of the server's large
disk size not working with the current ISADISK.NLM.  The vendor said that
Novell were sending a new ISADISK immediately; I'm waiting.

It's distressing to hear all those beeps while loading 3.11 floppies,
especially as the drive is an IDE (no chance of a low-level COMPSURF to
magically fix things).  Good luck to us.
--
Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida