[comp.research.japan] 16th Japan Unix Symposium

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (12/06/90)

The following papers were presented at the 16th Japan Unix Society (jus)
Symposium, 15-16 November 1990, Osaka.  I have summarized each paper in a
couple of lines.  All papers are in Japanese with English abstracts unless
otherwise noted.  Zhong and Kuribayashi's cWnn paper is recommended.

The symposium also had news reports from jus X11-SIG, jus Kansi, OSF, Unix
International, USL Pacific, and IBM.

The 17th symposium will be 9-11 July 1991; papers are due by 1 April 1991.
Please write to sympo17@jus.or.jp for details.

-- Paul Eggert, Twin Sun Inc. <eggert@twinsun.com>

The Design and Implementation of the Tools for Proofreading of Documents
	Hidehiro Ishii (hide@cs.uec.ac.jp) et al
`diffview' displays, in co-operation with `jddiff', how two documents differ.
A new editor constantly displays how a document has been changed.

Using TeX for Compiling Dictionaries from a Database
	Naoyishi J. Yasuda (nao@hichigai.co.jp)
A Who's Who dictionary was compiled from a large data base using TeX.  Problems
included macros, indexing, catchwords, and symbolic character translation.

Translating System from a Simple Mark Up Language to LaTeX -- EWB to LaTeX
	Katsuhiko Kanazawa (katsu-k@ascii.co.jp)
`ewb2latex' generates LaTeX from documents marked up in the EWB method,
which uses generic coding to describe the logical structure of documents.

Reconstruction of the Unix Online Manual with the Hypertext System
	Kazuhito Kimura (kazuto@cs.uec.ac.jp), Hideki Sunahara
The Unix online manual was reconstructed automatically into a hypertext system.

Management of Voice Interfaces on UNIX
	Kazushi Marukawa (kazus-m@cs.uec.ac.jp), Hideki Sunahara
A standard method is proposed for managing voice interfaces in a network of
workstations with audio I/O.  A daemon manages I/O requests.

SERA -- A tool to support analysis and design of software by a group of people
using various diagramming methods
	Junko Utashiro (junko@sra.co.jp) et al
SERA-DE is a meta software diagram editor, which is tailored by a diagram rule
to a specific diagramming method.  SERA-DS manages distributed diagrams using
the entity-relationship-attribute model.

A Chinese input environment on Unix Workstations -- the implementation of cWnn
	Xingguo Zhong and Hiroshi Kuribayashi (Omron)
cWnn is a Wnn-based input automaton framework for Chinese input methods that
handles standardization of Pinyin and Zhuyin, Pinyin-Hanzi conversion using
Yin-code, multiple phrase Pinyin-Hanzi conversion, and radical input methods.

Multibyte Support Extension -- an Enhancement of the Multibyte Character
Facility in the Standard C Language
	Norihiro Kumagai (kuma@shpcsl.sharp.co.jp)
ANSI C has insufficient support for large character sets like Kanji.
MSE is an ANSI C enhancement proposed to ISO by the Japanese C standard body.

Translating to ANSI C: a case study (in English)
	Paul Eggert (eggert@twinsun.com)
Problems in translating C-like languages like C-cured to ANSI C include making
the C level invisible, working around ANSI C's deficiencies, tracking C types,
interfacing to external programs and data, crosscompiling, and managing memory.

Worldwide Open Technology Around Unix (keynote address, in English)
	John S. Quarterman (jsq@tic.com)
The open system standardization process is gathering momentum.  It's a
bureaucratic alphabet soup, but it's important for your group to get involved,
or your needs will be ignored.

FDDI Network for Over-20MIPS Workstations (in English)
	Taka H. Fujimori (fujimori@sm.sony.co.jp), Kazuhiro Honda
An FDDI network board for >20MIPS workstations is simple, reliable, and cheap.
With this board, a workstation doubles as a flexible IP router.

Voice Information Utilization under the WIDE Project --
The design of _phone shell_ and its application to network management
	Hiroyuki Ohno (hohno@is.titech.ac.jp), Jun Murai
The phone shell lets you operate a Unix workstation through a telephone line
using just a touch tone phone.  Users can execute all Unix commands.  Macros
allow system managers to obtain commonly needed information easily.

Macintosh and UNIX Networking --
An Implementation of the AppleTalk Protocol on a UNIX Computer
	Iwao Deguchi (deguchi@datctl.datacontrol.co.jp), Satoshi Nakayama
AppleTalk was implemented in the Unix kernel and a Mac file server system was
built on a Unix system.

Routing on the Internet with mobile nodes
	Satoru Yanagishima (vyanagi@cs.uec.ac.jp), Hideki Sunahara
In this proposal, mobile nodes that move between IP networks are identified by
host names, and IP addresses are dynamically assigned by the new gateway and
bound by the domain name server.

Porting System V Shared Memory to the 4.3BSD Kernel
	Hiroshi Tezuka (tezuka@sm.sony.co.jp)
System V shared memory was ported to a 4.3BSD kernel with minimum effort by
adding the shared region mechanism to the 4.3BSD virtual memory subsystem,
leaving the original one as it was.

A Distributed Operating System Theta
	Hiromitso Shirakawa (shirakawa@cs.ritsumei.ac.jp) et al
Theta is designed for experimental multiprocessors and embedded computers.
Theta has a minimal kernel, lightweight processes using threads, efficient IPC,
flexible control flow, a Unix compatible interface, and a ROMable kernel.

Storage management on AIX Version 3 (no English abstract)
	Y Ishigaki (IBM)
The virtual memory system of AIX on the IBM RISC System/6000 is discussed.

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (12/06/90)

In article <28335@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) writes:

   The following papers were presented at the 16th Japan Unix Society (jus)
   Symposium, 15-16 November 1990, Osaka.  I have summarized each paper in a
   couple of lines.  All papers are in Japanese with English abstracts unless
   otherwise noted.  Zhong and Kuribayashi's cWnn paper is recommended.

   Routing on the Internet with mobile nodes
	   Satoru Yanagishima (vyanagi@cs.uec.ac.jp), Hideki Sunahara
   In this proposal, mobile nodes that move between IP networks are identified by
   host names, and IP addresses are dynamically assigned by the new gateway and
   bound by the domain name server.

I'd be interested in hearing more details about this proposal.  Is a
full translation available, or even simply a sketch of the mechanisms
involved.  I would expect the main problems would be to deal with
caching of old (bad) data so that you don't get mistaken for someone
else who is doing the same thing.

--Ed
emv@ox.com

brunner@uunet.UU.NET (12/07/90)

In article <28338@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <28335@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) writes:
>
>   Routing on the Internet with mobile nodes
>	   Satoru Yanagishima (vyanagi@cs.uec.ac.jp), Hideki Sunahara
>   In this proposal, mobile nodes that move between IP networks are identified by
>   host names, and IP addresses are dynamically assigned by the new gateway and
>   bound by the domain name server.
>
>I'd be interested in hearing more details about this proposal.  Is a
>full translation available, or even simply a sketch of the mechanisms
>involved.  I would expect the main problems would be to deal with
>caching of old (bad) data so that you don't get mistaken for someone
>else who is doing the same thing.
>
>--Ed

Like Ed, I'm interested in the area of multi-homed hosts and a copy of the
paper would be appreciated. We've discussed this in the IETF over the years
and it would be nice to see what these two authors have presented and which
of the several problems for multi-homed hosts they've answers for.

[[My suggestion would be to ask for a copy of the paper directly from
  the author using the email address given -- rds]]

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Eric Brunner, Consultant, IBM AWD Palo Alto	(415) 855-4486
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu		uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner
trying to understand multiprocessing is like having bees live inside your head.