[comp.research.japan] computer science research in Japan

NN1%awiwuw11.wu-wien.ac.@@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/17/90)

I am considering going to Japan for a sabbatical. The fellowship
program I have access to awards grants to perform research at a number
of government laboratories. The hitch is that university laboratories
are excluded.

I obtained a list of elligible host institutes, but am left a little
puzzled. Although the program is open to computer scientists, most of
the eligible host institutions have names like "National Institute of
Animal Industry", "National Research Institute of Brewing", or
"Traffic Safety and Nuisance Research Institute", etc. The closest one
comes is "National Aerospace Laboratory".

Am I left to assume that all these institutions also have active
research in computer science?

I would appreciate some help in identifying institutions out of this
list which in fact are active in my area. I could of course write to
all of them, but that would mean 118 letters... Could anyone familiar
with the situation in Japan point me to national laboratories
(excluding university and university-affiliated laboratories) with
active research in computer science (by the way, my area of expertise
is program transformation, algebraic manipulations of programs,
parallelization, ...).

[[The Electro-Technical Laboratory (ETL) in Tsukuba City certainly has
  an active CS research program.  Can anyone comment on the situation at
  other laboratories? -- rds]]

Thanks, thw.  k316670@aearn.bitnet

kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake) (12/27/90)

>From: NN1%awiwuw11.wu-wien.ac.@@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                               ^^ must be ".at" (for Austria)
>Date: 17 Dec 90 02:04:49 GMT

>[with names of national labs]
>Am I left to assume that all these institutions also have active
>research in computer science?

I don't think so. I think none of organization in your list will meet
your needs.

>(excluding university and university-affiliated laboratories)

This will make your selection very narrow, since most of academic computer
research in Japan have been organized by the Ministry of Education.

>[[The Electro-Technical Laboratory (ETL) in Tsukuba City certainly has
>  an active CS research program.  Can anyone comment on the situation at
>  other laboratories? -- rds]]

Yes, etl.go.jp has been very aggressive.
I think kek.ac.jp (The High-Energy Physics Lab., in Tsukuba, an organization
of the Ministry of Education) is eligible too.

-- Kenji
--
Kenji Rikitake, Socioenginnering R&D Center, Packet Radio User's Group
"All we are saying is give peace a chance."