[comp.research.japan] Computing standards in Japan

rontelta@fwi.uva.nl (Richard Ronteltap (I87)) (01/26/91)

Hello net,

I'm new to this group, so I hope this is the right place to ask.

My sister has recieved a grant to research computer usage in education
in Japan. She'll go in March, but needs to know a few practical things
first:

- Are computers widely used in lower middle and higher education?
- What is the computer standard over there? (I heared it's something
  from NEC) Is it compatible with anything used in the rest of the world?
- Does that computer standard use Japanese language and characters?
- Are IBM PC compatibles generally available in universities?
  (She's going to the University of Heroshima)
- Are MAC's generally available in universities?

If someone from Heroshima could answer (especially the last 2 questions)
I'd by _very_ happy, but any info is welcome.

Happy netting,
Richard
(rontelta@thoff.fwi.uva.nl)

kenji@ybbs.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Kenji Rikitake) (01/28/91)

In <29929@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> rontelta@fwi.uva.nl (Richard Ronteltap (I87)) writes:

>- Are computers widely used in lower middle and higher education?

I haven't got any computer education in school. (I graduated senior-high
school in 1983) I think things have been changing a lot, though. TV says
lots of schools are introducing CAI. But I think computers are still things
for computer kids; not for ordinary children.

>- What is the computer standard over there? (I heared it's something
>  from NEC) Is it compatible with anything used in the rest of the world?

NEC PC-9801 series IS the de facto standard. NOT IBM PC. MS-DOS runs on the
PC-9801, but IBM PC-dependent (on BIOS level) softwares do not work.
(A freeware called SIM can make IBM PC softwares run on the PC-9801.)
In fact my computer is a PC-9801.

The reason that people stick on the NEC machine is that IBM PC did not
provide Japanese handling facilities until recently.

>- Does that computer standard use Japanese language and characters?

Yes, though NEC PC-9801 series do not comply with JIS X0208-1983; they
still use JIS X0208-1978 for backward compatibilities. The latest industrial
standards defined for Japanese code representation are JIS X0208-1990 and
JIS X0212-1990. I think no computers sold in public have ever implemented
these two standards yet. (JIS stands for Japan Industrial Standard, a
national organization, like ANSI.)

>- Are IBM PC compatibles generally available in universities?
>  (She's going to the University of Heroshima)
                                     ^^^^^^^^^ <- Hiroshima is better :-)

Toshiba has been aggressive on selling IBM PC compatible laptops called
J3100 series, although their Japanese softwares are their own. You can run
IBM PC applications on the J3100. ASCII corp. and other Japanese companies
have been trying to join the personal computer market with AX standard, an
enhanced IBM PC/AT for Japanese. I personally feel, however, that they are
hardly successful, since their video I/F is not compatible with EGA if you
are using it in Japanese mode.

Recently IBM Japan released an innovative Japanese handler for IBM PC/AT
called DOS/V. This will make IBM PC/AT compatibles run Japanese softwares,
and IBM Japan is trying to absorb AX companies as their allies.

>- Are MAC's generally available in universities?

Apple's Macintosh have been available throughout the nation. You can obtain
Kanji Talk (Japanese MacOS) from APDA, and it runs on any Macs. Apple Japan
has been making alliance with University CO-OP, so maybe you can get Macs
cheaper at universities. (Note that Apple Japan is well-known and criticized
for their high-pricing strategy here.)

Hope this helps,

-- Kenji
--
Anyone reading this page has an amazing skill called literacy.
                                           -- Alvin Toffler, "Powershift", 1990