[ieee.fidonet.ieee] Internet

burt@ieee.org (Burt Juda) (03/27/91)

David Qualich writes:
 > Burt,
 > Can you give me a brief refresher on how to address a msg to
 > J. Somebody in XYNet via Internet?  ...in IEEE Echo or Netmail...
 > Thanks. (I promise to file this instruction where I can find it when
 > needed).

Actually, it's very simple with the special pre-processor I've written.
The FidoNet address of IEEE.ORG is 1:107/10  (even though the machine's
Primary address is 107/310).

If the Username field (of the FidoNet header) contains an '@' sign and
the message is TO any one of its AKAs (107/10, 107/310, 7:520/310),
then it is *assumed* that the Username field contains an INTERNET address,
and will prepare the message with the necessary kludge-lines so that
the UFGATE software can process it.  If the Internet address is over
32 characters, then it will not fit in the header.  Then you must use
the regular UFGATE kludge (Username = 'Uucp', "To: address" on first
line) and it will recognize it.

There's a 2nd pre-processor which runs against messages to 107/10 ONLY.
Since 107/10 is tagged as IEEE.ORG's address in the Nodelist, this
processor will *assume* that whatever is in the Username field is a
valid alias or user on IEEE.ORG.  If it is NOT a valid alias, then
the mailer mechanism on ieee.org will bounce it back to you, which
you'll get back from  "mailer-daemon@ieee.org" on 107/10 (I get cc'd
on all the bounces, so you don't need to forward it all back to me).

Mail coming in the Internet => FidoNet direction is prepped so that
the Internet address gets put into the Username field in the header,
the from_address changed to 107/10 so that it will be REPLYable from
most any BBS software without having to do the special UFGATE stuff
manually.

Messages coming thru the gated Newsgroups => GroupMail or EchoMail
are also prepped so that the Username is the Internet address which
will be Reply-able via Private E-Mail.  It will also split any long
messages (anything over 6k) so that no messages get chopped off by
GroupMail's message-length limit.

--
 Burt Juda                   Internet: burt@ieee.org || merlin@ieee.org
 IEEE Service Center         COMPMAIL: B.JUDA           Bitnet:  JUDA@NJIN