[comp.lang.clos] Persistent Objects in CLOS

gt4084c@prism.gatech.EDU (SRINIVASAN,K) (12/11/90)

What will be the best way to save all the objects created during a run of a program?  I suppose certain languages such as Eiffel allow you to do it using persistent objects.  I plan to use CLOS for simulation of a manufacturing system.  I would like to save all my parts and machines at any instant and restart the simulation from there again.  This may involve thousands of objects (instances).  I will be very thankful to anybody who can share their experience with me or indicate as to where I should be look

ing.  (If any of you think CLOS is not a good choice for my task, I would like to know the reasons too).

Thanks in advance.

(I am a novice CLOS/Lisp programmer)
--
SRINIVASAN,K
School of Textile Engineering   Georgia Tech.

gt4084c@prism.gatech.EDU (SRINIVASAN,K) (12/11/90)

I am considering CLOS for a manufacturing simulation application.  I may want to save all entities such as parts being processed, etc., (which will be instances of classes) which were created dynamically.  Can knowledgeable netters let me know how to do it?  Though I would prefer some internal facility such as persistent objects, I am interested in knowing about techniques like writing to some databases too.  The number of objects may run to 1000s.  Will this be problem with CLOS?  I will be thankful for a

ny suggestions in this regard.
--

kanderso@DINO.BBN.COM (12/11/90)

  Date: 10 Dec 90 23:19:57 GMT
  From: "SRINIVASAN,K" <prism!gt4084c@gatech.edu>
  Subject: Persistent Objects in CLOS
  To: commonloops@cis.ohio-state.edu

  What will be the best way to save all the objects created during a run of a program?  I suppose certain languages such as Eiffel allow you to do it using persistent objects.  I plan to use CLOS for simulation of a manufacturing system.  I would like to save all my parts and machines at any instant and restart the simulation from there again.  This may involve thousands of objects (instances).  I will be very thankful to anybody who can share their experience with me or indicate as to where I should be lo

ok

In simulations i have done like yours, simply dumping the objects to a
file has worked fine.  This will let you save the state of a
simulation and restart it.  Your LISP documentation should show you
how to do this.

  ing.  (If any of you think CLOS is not a good choice for my task, I would like to know the reasons too).

CLOS is a fine choice.