[comp.lang.clos] MOP Specification

Gregor@parc.xerox.com (Gregor Kiczales) (04/23/91)

The sources for the final CLOS Metaobject Protocol Specification are now
available for anonymous FTP from arisia.xerox.com.  You need to get the
file /pcl/mop/spec.tar.Z.  This is a uuencoded tarfile, so use binary
mode to copy it.  Once you have uudecoded and untared it, run spec.tex
through LaTeX and you should be all set.

This material corresponds to Chapters 5 and 6 of the forthcoming "The
Art of the Metaobject Protocol" and, as such, is copyright MIT Press.
But, to encourage further development, the copyright for these chapters
has been relaxed to something similar to copyleft.  See page one of the
material for details.

Have fun.

Gregor@parc.xerox.com (Gregor Kiczales) (04/23/91)

Thanks to Alan Bawden for pointing out a braino in my previous message.
The file on arisia that you want to copy is compressed, so you have to
use binary mode to copy it.

Its hard to see why I got confused, after all, all I had to keep
straight was that I needed to tar and compress the file.  Except of
course if I was planning to mail it in which case I need to tar,
compress, uuencode and the split it.  (Oh yes, and after splitting it I
have to rename it all.)  Gee, life here in the future sure is simple.

Date: 	Mon, 22 Apr 1991 16:42:12 PDT
From: Alan Bawden <Alan@lcs.mit.edu>
To: Gregor@parc.xerox.com (Gregor Kiczales)
Subject: MOP Specification

   From: Gregor@parc.xerox.com (Gregor Kiczales)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.clos
   Date: 22 Apr 91 21:03:54 GMT
   ... /pcl/mop/spec.tar.Z.  This is a uuencoded tarfile, so use binary
   mode to copy it.  Once you have uudecoded and untared it, ...

Surely you meant to say "compressed" rather than "uuencoded"?  uuencode
actually makes files -bigger- (but suitable for transmission through
electronic mail).  At least, thats what the uuencode here does...