[comp.graphics.visualization] References for 3_D vision

arma@phao (11/08/90)

 am in the process of building my background in computer vision.
 I would like anybody out there to tell me about good (possibly easy)
 references that I could read (Books, papers etc...) the main emphasis I
 want to go to is on 3_D object identification and recognition (possibly
 using range data). Thanx in advance.

robbie@tivoli.UUCP (robbie) (11/09/90)

In article <6113@phao.eng.ohio-state.edu> arma@phao writes:
> am in the process of building my background in computer vision.
> I would like anybody out there to tell me about good (possibly easy)
> references that I could read (Books, papers etc...) [ ... ]

I suggest Parallel Distributed Processing by McClellen and Rummelhart.  It
pursues the neural network approach.  I think most of the significant work
is being done there.  It is a very basic text, if you have much background
at all I am probably telling you something you already know.  If you don't
have a backgound in neural networks it is a very good starting point.

>[...]	the main emphasis I
> want to go to is on 3_D object identification and recognition (possibly
> using range data). Thanx in advance.

This text does not address 3-D aspects, but it does use visual recognition
as one of the examples for neural networks.

Robbie Robinette
512 329 2455

kailad@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (kailad s gopalakrishn) (11/09/90)

there is a paper by Waltz (there is also an algorithm - 'waltz algorithm' namedafter him, that was developed during his Phd) which is quite useful if you
are a starter.  You can get the full paper in one of Winston's books -
I cant get the exact title of the book now - it is one of those advances in
AI or something of that stuff published by the MIT press.  that book contains
papers published on different areas of AI.

But I guess you would have already gone past that stage !

All the best !

hoping-to-be-of-some-help  Gopal

gkailad@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu
kailad@cis.ohio-state.edu