[comp.graphics.visualization] Video from a Workstation Screen

rbeck@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Robert Beck) (11/26/90)

I wish to find out how different companies (labs) record video from a
workstation screen.  The old fashioned way is to use a camera.  This
has problems because of the difference in frequencies.  I have heard
that somebody has a board that plugs into a SUN and records directly
to vcr tape.  Does anybody know what company makes this?  How about
other methods?

Thank you,
Robert Beck

--
Robert Beck		Research Programmer	Field Robotics Center
ARPAnet/Internet: rbeck@ri.cmu.edu		Robotics Institute

peda@simplicity.Stanford.EDU (Bill Codding) (11/28/90)

In article <RBECK.90Nov26083838@weed.frc.ri.cmu.edu> rbeck@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Robert Beck) writes:

   I have heard
   that somebody has a board that plugs into a SUN and records directly
   to vcr tape.  Does anybody know what company makes this?  How about
   other methods?

Check out the products from a company called RGB/Spectrum, based in
Berkeley CA.  They manufacture RGB to video boards and external boxes
for most systems/frequencies.

  Bill Codding                                       (415)493-3554 (w)
  Research Engineer                                  (415)751-5484 (h)
  P.E.D.A.                                peda@simplicity.Stanford.EDU

jbthomp@druid.Central.Sun.COM (Jamie Thompson Sun Dallas DSE) (11/28/90)

In article <RBECK.90Nov26083838@weed.frc.ri.cmu.edu> rbeck@frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu (Robert Beck) writes:
>I wish to find out how different companies (labs) record video from a
>workstation screen.  The old fashioned way is to use a camera.  This
>has problems because of the difference in frequencies.  I have heard
>that somebody has a board that plugs into a SUN and records directly
>to vcr tape.  Does anybody know what company makes this?  How about
>other methods?

Try RasterOps -- they have an SBus card (PIP, I think it's called...)

or call your local Sun Sales office, ask to speak to a 'Systems Engineer'
or their 'Graphics Ambassador' -- they'll be able to tell you what's what.