[comp.graphics.visualization] Sparc 2 specs

andyrose@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Andy Rose) (11/28/90)

From "Put a little sun in your life"
an invitation to New Product Announcement Dec 4 at Cornell

SPARCstation SLC  $3000
1152x900 monochrome 17", 8MB RAM, ethernet, SCSI, sound chip, 2 serial 12.5 MIPS

SPARCstation IPC  $6000
16"color 1152x900, 16 MIPS, 207MB internal harddrive plus above

SPARCstation 2    $9000
28.5 MIPS, 16 MB RAM, 207 MB internal disk (looks like color costs extra)

prices are "standard Cornell prices" whatever that means.

Mentions that over 2200 applications run on SPARC machines.
I will get specifics on graphics speed and price tuesday.

V for vis.

--
Andrew Newkirk Rose '91 Department of Visualization CNSF/Theory Center
632 E & T Building, Hoy Road Ithaca, NY 14583

rslau@tarazed.usc.edu (Robert Lau) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.211852.7180@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> andyrose@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Andy Rose) writes:

   prices are "standard Cornell prices" whatever that means.

w/educational discount of around 40%.  msrp for IPC is 9999.

-ribbit
--
Robert Lau				Systems Programmer
  rslau@usc.edu				University Computing Services

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.211852.7180@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, andyrose@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Andy Rose) writes:
> From "Put a little sun in your life"
> an invitation to New Product Announcement Dec 4 at Cornell
>
> SPARCstation SLC  $3000
> 1152x900 monochrome 17", 8MB RAM, ethernet, SCSI, sound chip, 2 serial 12.5 MIPS
>
> SPARCstation IPC  $6000
> 16"color 1152x900, 16 MIPS, 207MB internal harddrive plus above
>
> SPARCstation 2    $9000
> 28.5 MIPS, 16 MB RAM, 207 MB internal disk (looks like color costs extra)
>
> prices are "standard Cornell prices" whatever that means.
>
> Mentions that over 2200 applications run on SPARC machines.
> I will get specifics on graphics speed and price tuesday.
>
> V for vis.

Interesting.  Does anyone have specs/prices for the personal Iris?  I would
be interested in comparing the two systems and any other systems that readers
would have experience with.  Please post if you have facts/figures.

> --
> Andrew Newkirk Rose '91 Department of Visualization CNSF/Theory Center
> 632 E & T Building, Hoy Road Ithaca, NY 14583
> 607 254 8686  andy@cornellf.tn.cornell.edu

Thanks very much,
Veenu

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (12/02/90)

In article <1490@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) writes:
>In article <1990Nov27.235030.118@cbnewsj.att.com> vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:
>>Interesting.  Does anyone have specs/prices for the personal Iris?  I would
>>be interested in comparing the two systems and any other systems that readers
>>would have experience with.  Please post if you have facts/figures.

There are a whole flock of PIs to choose from.  They come in three (four if
you count graphicsless) flavors of graphics capability.  The following is from
my current copy of SGI's Periodic Table of the IRISes as of November 1, 1990.

Processor speed:

4D/35 -- 35 MHz, 33 MIPS, 6.0 MFLOPS (MIPS R3000)
4D/25 -- 20 MHz, 16 MIPS, 1.6 MFLOPS (MIPS R3000)
4D/20 -- 12.5 MHZ, 10 MIPS, 0.9 MFLOPS (MIPS R2000)

Graphics models:

S - no graphics, just a cpu box.
(no designation) - standard graphics, 90K vectors/second, 5.1K
	polygons/second, 8 bit color, no Z-buffer
G - 90K vectors/second, 5.1K polygons/second, 24 bit color, 24 bit Z-buffer
TG - 200K vectors/second, 24K polygons/second, 24 bit color, 24 bits Z-buffer

Price:

4D/35S  - $10,900 ("promotional price, thru 12/31/90")
4D/35   - $21,000 ("promotional price, thru 12/31/90")
4D/35G  - $27,000 ("promotional price, thru 12/31/90")
4D/35TG - $31,000 ("promotional price, thru 12/31/90")

4D/25S  - $ 5,900
4D/25   - $16,000
4D/25G  - $22,000
4D/25TG - $26,000

4D/20S  - no such beast
4D/20   - $11,500
4D/20G  - $17,500
4D/20TG - $21,500

These are all prices for an 8 megabytes system with *NO* disk.  An 8 meg
system is ultra brainless.  However, memory from other sources, such as
Clearpoint or Impediment, is pretty cheap for the 20 and 25 models.  The 35
memory boards apparently are sort of a strange animal, however, and the SIMMs
have some kind of dingus or doohickey that makes them more difficult to clone,
according to my memory spies.

Hope this helps.

I have no relation whatever to SillyGraphics or to either of the memory
vendors mentioned in this article.  See your local Silicon Graphics rep for
more details and more full color glossy brochures than you can possibly fit
into your wastebasket... :-)

The Navy and I have a deal:
The Secretary of the Navy doesn't hack computers and I don't tell him how to
drive ships.

							spl (the p stands for
							Personal IRIS, my
							foot... I'm still
							waiting for my
							Personal Y-MP/8128 to
							arrive...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- 1882p@cc.nps.navy.mil -- a guest on network.ucsd.edu
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943