[comp.graphics.visualization] Positioning of labels on graphical image

inb300campbe@qut.edu.au (12/13/90)

Has anybody had any experience with the automatic positioning of
labels on a objects in a graphical image?

What I'm really after are some techniques of placing labels
on a visual object keeping in mind that the label must not
overlap other text or other visual objects with greater
priority, and a method of placing text inside an object
in such a way that it is central.
The label inside the object must be placed in the centre of the
largest possible box inside the object proportional to the
dimensions of the text.

Thanks
(Please post, don't mail if possible)

inb300campbe@redgum.qut.edu.au

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec13.085649.21670@qut.edu.au>, inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes...

>Has anybody had any experience with the automatic positioning of
>labels on a objects in a graphical image?
>
>What I'm really after are some techniques of placing labels
>on a visual object keeping in mind that the label must not
>overlap other text or other visual objects with greater
>priority, and a method of placing text inside an object
>in such a way that it is central.
>The label inside the object must be placed in the centre of the
>largest possible box inside the object proportional to the
>dimensions of the text.

    If you discover a technique please let the world of cartography know, we've
been trying for a couple of years now.

    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |                                             |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |       Your message here...                  |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                 only 5$ per post            |
|  (608)255-5702                |                                             |

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec13.085649.21670@qut.edu.au> inb300campbe@qut.edu.au writes:
>Has anybody had any experience with the automatic positioning of
>labels on a objects in a graphical image?

This has been  an active research area  for several years.  The earliest
work I  know of is  John  Ahn  here at  RPI,  who was PhD'ed  under Herb
Freeman,  who is  now at Rutgers.   There have been  other papers in the
cartographic conferences.  Anyone current in GIS (Geographic Information
Systems) or cartography should know of them.

Here is the RPI online library record for Ahn's thesis:

             BY:  Ahn, John K.
                  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Mathematics Department.
          TITLE:  Automatic map name placement system.
        CALL NO:  THESIS 1984
       MATERIAL:  THESIS
          NOTES:  UMI abstract number 84-26,504
                  Doctor's - May, 1984

--
						   Wm. Randolph Franklin
Internet: wrf@ecse.rpi.edu (or @cs.rpi.edu)    Bitnet: Wrfrankl@Rpitsmts

george@adimail.UUCP (George Pearson) (12/18/90)

Though I haven't used it myself, a possibly useful article (with numerous
references) is "Cartographic Name Placement with Prolog" by Christopher B.
Jones.  It appears in the Sept. 1989 issue of IEEE Computer Graphics and
Applications.