[comp.graphics.visualization] Help: Creating 3-D mesh from arbitrary points.

johng@OCE.ORST.EDU (John A. Gregor) (02/15/91)

We have a relatively large (several thousand) set of ocean samples in
3-D that we want to visualize.  Unfortunately, all the tools we have
demand that the data be represented as gridded data or as a connected
mesh (either tetrahedrons xor hexahedrons).  Any pointers to routines
or literature to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Some more notes about the data:  It's scattered in XY but linear in Z.
Also, the number of and distance between Z samples varies among the XY
locations.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
-John
--
John Gregor			johng@oce.orst.edu
Oregon State University		(503) 737-3022

sdo@cbnewsl.att.com (scott.orshan) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.190639.26922@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> johng@OCE.ORST.EDU (John A. Gregor) writes:
>We have a relatively large (several thousand) set of ocean samples in
>3-D that we want to visualize.  Unfortunately, all the tools we have
>demand that the data be represented as gridded data or as a connected
>mesh (either tetrahedrons xor hexahedrons).  Any pointers to routines
>or literature to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

There's a scientific graphics package (for DOS) called Graftool.
It has a built in spreadsheet, and one of its capabilities is
that it will convert a list of (x,y,z) points into a grid.
This is usually done as a prelude to plotting the surface.

It "uses an inverse-distance weighting algorithm to generate a
rectangular M by N grid of points over a specified range of the
two independent variables, x and y.  At each point in the grid,
an x, y, and z value is computed ..."

You can specify weighting, normalization, and the power used in
the inverse-distance weighting to affect the smoothness of the
surface generated.

This program does quite a lot, and it costs $495. (They have a demo
version for $15).

It is a product of 3-D Visions Corp, 213-540-8818.

I'm not connected with them in any way, except as a customer.

Scott Orshan
UNIX Systems Labs
908-522-5063
sdo@attunix.att.com

wes@arco.com (Wes Monroe) (02/20/91)

A. Gregor) writes:
>We have a relatively large (several thousand) set of ocean samples in
>3-D that we want to visualize.  Unfortunately, all the tools we have
>demand that the data be represented as gridded data or as a connected
>mesh (either tetrahedrons xor hexahedrons).  Any pointers to routines
>or literature to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Some more notes about the data:  It's scattered in XY but linear in Z.
>Also, the number of and distance between Z samples varies among the XY
>locations.

I have similarly configured data, and I also needed to feed my graphics
package geometric information as well.  In my case, the Z samplings represented
horizons or zones, so I just grouped data by zone, and then created triangles
and rectangles by traversing across the data and finding the nearest 2
or 3 neighboring points.

If what your trying to do is get a feeling for how the data is configured
spatially, then I might suggest an application called MacSpin for the
Mac.  Its reasonably inexpensive (<200$) and will post the data for you.
It will also "grid" the data with a simple technique, the nearest
n neighbors, but it will not output any grid connection network like what
your looking for.  Its from D2 Software, Inc, P.O. Box 9546, Austin Texas
78766-9546 (512) 454-7746.

Cheers,

Wes

sg04@harvey.gte.com (Steven Gutfreund) (02/20/91)

> In article <1991Feb14.190639.26922@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> johng@OCE.ORST.EDU (John
> A. Gregor) writes:
> >We have a relatively large (several thousand) set of ocean samples in
> >3-D that we want to visualize.  Unfortunately, all the tools we have
> >demand that the data be represented as gridded data or as a connected
> >mesh (either tetrahedrons xor hexahedrons).  Any pointers to routines
> >or literature to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Some more notes about the data:  It's scattered in XY but linear in Z.
> >Also, the number of and distance between Z samples varies among the XY
> >locations.

I use the UNIRAS package for these sorts of operations. It it is
especially good for GIS applications, where one has a lot of
randomly placed 3D samples and one needs a grid. It is produced
by European Software Contractors A/S 376, Gladsaxevej
DK-2860 Soborg Denmark Phone +45 1 67 22 88.

They have a very fancy package, and routines I just don't
have the time to write myself.

1. A weighted moving averages technique with smoothing, and
   correction based on surrounding gradients (good for large
   data sets)

2. A Triangularization based approach

3. A fit of 5th order spline surface patch

4. Kringing (a statistical based approach) and highly valued
   by GIS types. Good for maintaining small intermittent features.
   A pretty sophisticated algorithm (ie. don't try and implement
   it yourself in a day).

Yechezkal Shimon Gutfreund		 		  sgutfreund@gte.com
GTE Laboratories, Waltham MA			    harvard!bunny!sgutfreund

robeson@brahms.udel.edu (Scott M Robeson) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb14.190639.26922@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> johng@OCE.ORST.EDU (John A. Gregor) writes:
>We have a relatively large (several thousand) set of ocean samples in
>3-D that we want to visualize.  Unfortunately, all the tools we have
>demand that the data be represented as gridded data or as a connected
>mesh (either tetrahedrons xor hexahedrons).

A potential problem with using a "canned" routine here is that
these data are distributed on the surface of an oblate spheroid:
the earth.  The interpolation should really be done using
spherical trigonometry to compute the distance-weighting (or
angles if the interpolator requires such information).  There
are a couple of papers on spherical interpolation (that I know of):

Renka, R. (1984) "Interpolation of data on the surface of a sphere,"
  ACM Trans. Math. Software, 10(4), 417.

Willmott, C. et al. (1985) "Small-scale climate maps: A sensitivity
  analysis of some common assumptions associated with grid-point
  interpolation and contouring," American Cartographer, 12(1), 5.