[comp.graphics.visualization] LEXICOR, Atari TT/030, Video Toaster

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (03/03/91)

March 2/91
Here are some follow up questions i had for Lee Seiler at
LEXICOR:

1).  How many colors on screen and what is resolution with your
      24-bit color board and Atari 1224 on an ST?

	** With 2megs of RAM, 16 million, 256 on screen, 512x512
       FULL SCREEN  "virtual screen".. NOT overscan.

		LEXICOR will be supporting 4 boards:
			MATRIX
			LEXICOR
			ICD
			ISAC

2).  WIll the Gadgets SST 030 board work with LEXICOR.?

     ** As far as I know it does.

3).  A few people from the Amiga groups figured you must be
     using a "$50 monitor" on the Amiga 3000 when you made
     comparisons between the TT display and the A3000 display.
     What monitor did you use on the A3000?

     ** Nanow flexscan $1600 monitor.  I have the amiga and TT
        hooked up to the same monitor.
        The TT display is much more dramatic and purer
        than interlace on amiga... the overscan on the amiga
        gives you a shredded looking edge.

4).  Can you import DynaCADD drawings and render/animate them
     with LEXICOR to do architectural walkthroughs?

     ** Of course!

5).  The Amiga is a great graphics machine... particulalry when you
     have vendors like NewTek putting out the Video Toaster.
     Anything like that going to happen for the TT?

	 ** There will be a direct marriage of Video Toaster with TT
      put out by reputable company THIS YEAR.

	Really?  Some people buy the Amiga FOR the Toaster.

	** Definitely!  You will definitely see the Video Toaster on the
      TT this year.  NewTek wants the ATARI market.

6).  I am still impressed with my 8mhz 1040ST upgraded to 4MB RAM.
     There is some software for the ST that really makes this box
     seem like a lot more machine.  My guess is that the TT
     must be an excellent system.

     ** It is wonderful!

     Atari already has a strong hold in the music market.
     If ATARI supports you guys in your graphics
     development, I should think LEXICOR and others that follow
     you will help make ATARI more competetive in the US.  Is ATARI
     supportive of your efforts?

    ** ATARI just now made the decision to get into professional
      animation and DTP.  People at ATARI are vey helpful, and
      contrary to a lot of people's claim that they don't care,
      ATARI people DO care and are trying very hard to provide great
      products at affordable prices.

csc23042@sumax.seattleu.edu (Dave Jorgan) (03/03/91)

In article <17526@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

>March 2/91
>Here are some follow up questions i had for Lee Seiler at
>LEXICOR:
>
>			ISAC
>3).  A few people from the Amiga groups figured you must be
>     using a "$50 monitor" on the Amiga 3000 when you made
>     comparisons between the TT display and the A3000 display.
>     What monitor did you use on the A3000?
>
>     ** Nanow flexscan $1600 monitor.  I have the amiga and TT
>        hooked up to the same monitor.
>        The TT display is much more dramatic and purer
>        than interlace on amiga... the overscan on the amiga
>        gives you a shredded looking edge.
>
>5).  The Amiga is a great graphics machine... particulalry when you
>     have vendors like NewTek putting out the Video Toaster.
>     Anything like that going to happen for the TT?
>
>	 ** There will be a direct marriage of Video Toaster with TT
>      put out by reputable company THIS YEAR.
>
>	Really?  Some people buy the Amiga FOR the Toaster.
>
>	** Definitely!  You will definitely see the Video Toaster on the
>      TT this year.  NewTek wants the ATARI market.

***************  A number of other questions deleted **********************

I wonder about Lexicor. When I read their ads (circa Dec. 1990) I was
more then a little skeptical. This is because they had these elaborate
pencil drawiings of fantasy/sci-fi mechanisms with thousands of faces,
and they boasted, somthing like "would like like to animate something
like this? We do it all the time!!" So I would think, "Hmmm.. if they
animate this kind of stuff "all the time," why don't they show a screen shot
instead of a pencil drawing?

On #3- I haven't seen a TT display, so for all I know it is superior. However,
the Lexicor fellow made references to the "flicker." Apparently he is
unaware that the A3000 has a built-in deinterlacer. I HAVE seen the A3000
display, and it is very good. Like I say, the TT might well be better, but
this fellow from Lexicor seems to be making it sound wretched, which it is
not.

On #4- I have a very hard time swallowing this one. Come on. NewTek has
stated it will NOT move the Toaster over to the Mac or the PC. What makes
this guy think that they would ignore these markets, which are anywhere from
10 to 30 times larger than the ST market, in favor of the ST? The Toaster
uses Amiga custom display chips as part of its integral operation. This is
why it is on a Amiga. Now if he is saying a 3rd party is going to bring it
over, then that might be possible. It would be tough, and I don't think it
will be here "within the year" (unless the party gets Commodore to sell them
Amiga custom chips) but I can say no more about that topic.

Mainly, this guy, from what has been posted here and from his ads, does not
seem to be the font of credibility. His attacks on the Amiga reduce it still
further. Not that the Amiga is above crticism, hardly that, but what he did
say is very questionable, was not technically justified, and very inflammatory.
Hopefully one of the Atari mags will give a review of his stuff ( did I hear
STart mag mentioned) but until then I cannot take him seriously.

Dave
csc23042@sumax.seattleu.edu

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Anarchy for Peace) (03/03/91)

In article <17526@milton.u.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:

>March 2/91
>Here are some follow up questions i had for Lee Seiler at
>LEXICOR:
>
>3).  A few people from the Amiga groups figured you must be
>     using a "$50 monitor" on the Amiga 3000 when you made
>     comparisons between the TT display and the A3000 display.
>     What monitor did you use on the A3000?
>
>     ** Nanow flexscan $1600 monitor.  I have the amiga and TT
>        hooked up to the same monitor.
>        The TT display is much more dramatic and purer
>        than interlace on amiga... the overscan on the amiga
>        gives you a shredded looking edge.

I'm sorry, but you obviously either didn't use a A3000, or didn't plug
the multiscan monitor into the de-interlaced output of the A3000, as
opposed to the 15kHz ntsc output.  The shredding you saw in overscan
is a bug in the earlier display chips and was fixed in the new
enhanced chip set (which by the way is in the 3000)
.

>5).  The Amiga is a great graphics machine... particulalry when you
>     have vendors like NewTek putting out the Video Toaster.
>     Anything like that going to happen for the TT?
>
>	 ** There will be a direct marriage of Video Toaster with TT
>      put out by reputable company THIS YEAR.
>
>	Really?  Some people buy the Amiga FOR the Toaster.
>
>	** Definitely!  You will definitely see the Video Toaster on the
>      TT this year.  NewTek wants the ATARI market.

For some reason, I can't see this happening.  Especially the fact that
to the best of my knowledge, no Atari machine has a video slot, or
any expansion slots whatsoever for that matter.

Go ahead, flame me!!!
Followups redirected to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where it "belongs" :-)

--
Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca