[comp.graphics.visualization] apE and AVS pricing

ktayama@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Katsumi Tayama) (02/14/91)

Can anybody tell me the price range of apE for non-academic institutions,
i.e. corporations?  How about AVS?

Kats

lewis@cortex.med.jhu.edu (Robert Lewis) (02/14/91)

In article <27B99963.3164@ics.uci.edu> ktayama@ics.uci.edu (Katsumi Tayama) writes:
>Can anybody tell me the price range of apE for non-academic institutions,
>i.e. corporations?  How about AVS?
>
>Kats

apE goes for $75.

Rob Lewis				lewis@cortex.med.jhu.edu
Pearlson Neuroimaging Lab		(301) 955-8492
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine

okeefe@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul O'Keefe) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.205315.17231@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, lewis@cortex.med.jhu.edu (Robert Lewis) writes:
> In article <27B99963.3164@ics.uci.edu> ktayama@ics.uci.edu (Katsumi Tayama) writes:
> >Can anybody tell me the price range of apE for non-academic institutions,
> >i.e. corporations?  How about AVS?
> >
> >Kats
>
> apE goes for $75.

Based on MTV's review of apE in Pixel, a non-academic apE licence still
cost $75.00, but does NOT come with source code or printed manuals.

Paul O'Keefe
okeefe@cs.buffalo.edu

anderson@osc.edu (Steve Anderson) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.134114@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, okeefe@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul O'Keefe) writes:

> Based on MTV's review of apE in Pixel, a non-academic apE licence still
> cost $75.00, but does NOT come with source code or printed manuals.
>
> Paul O'Keefe
> okeefe@cs.buffalo.edu

The apE 2.0 release for a non-academic place is identical to an
academic release, source and manuals included. The difference is
only in the verbage of the license (precisely the difference I
don't recall, but even that wasn't much).

--steve

--
 H. Stephen Anderson			 | email: anderson@osgp.osc.edu
 The Ohio Supercomputer Graphics Project | Phone: (614) 292-3274

joe@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu (Joseph Panico) (03/08/91)

Newsgroups: comp.graphics.visualization
Subject: MOVIE.BYU
Sender: Joe Panico (joe@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu)

We have wireframe models of neurons that have been reconstructed from microscope
data. The wireframes are a series of polylines, each polyline recpresenting the
cell's boundary at a slice through the cell at that particular depth
(z distance). We would like to be able to graphically manipulate collections
of cells and then to render the cells with surfaces and shading, etc. The
Wavefront personal visualizer on the SGI personal Iris could certainly do great
things for us, but we don't know what the data format is for this program.
Alternatively, we have received a copy of a program called SYNU, written by
Dave Hessler at the UCSD supercomputing center, which can render cells that
are described by a traingular mesh. Ideally we would like to be able to
convert between these programs, and both programs can accept data
in MOVIE.BYU format. Where can I get MOVIE.BYU and the data formats for
both MOVIE.BYU and Wavefront's personal visualizer?

                           Joe Panico
			   joe@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.visualization
Subject: Re: is Wavefront contactable via email ??
drb@eecg.toronto.edu (David R. Blythe) (03/14/91)

In article <38945@netnews.upenn.edu> joe@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu (Joseph Panico) writes:
>in MOVIE.BYU format. Where can I get MOVIE.BYU and the data formats for
>both MOVIE.BYU and Wavefront's personal visualizer?
>
>                           Joe Panico
>			   joe@retina.anatomy.upenn.edu

The movie.byu geometry file format looks like this:

	write(iunit,80) npn,njn,nptn,nedge
	write(iunit,80) ((npl(i,j),i=1,2),j=1,npn)
	write(iunit,100) ((x(i,j),i=1,3),j=1,njn)
	write(iunit,80) (jp(i),i=1,nedge)
 80	format(10i8)
 100	format(6e12.5)

where npn = number of parts (geometric objects)
      njn = number of nodes (total number of vertices)
      nptn = number of polygons (total over all parts)
      nedge = number of edges (total over all polygons in all parts)
      npl = array of pairs of indices into connectivity array for
	    start polygon node and end polygon node for each part
	    (if there is 1 part then it is a single line = 1 and nedge)
      x   = array of 3D vertices
      jp  = connectivity array - indices of vertices in x array
		making up a polygon with a negative index indicating the last
		vertex of a polygon  (an n-sided polygon would have n entries in
		the connectivity array and the n-th entry would be negated).

I have seen a number of programs that understand this format so its probably
worth knowing.  So does anybody know the file formats for the personal
visualizer?
	david blythe
	ontario centre for large scale computation
	drb@clsc.utoronto.ca