[comp.graphics.visualization] Gaussian 88 electron density plots

CHERGR@lure.latrobe.edu.au (03/19/91)

I'm looking for a program to plot the electron density
of a molecule from the output of the Gaussian 88 ab initio
molecular orbital program.

Doing contours or a wireframe plot from XY data is easy
enough. It is slightly harder to convert the basis set
and MO coefficients into XY data. The hard part is
getting the data in the first place. The way our
installation is set up it makes sense to do this
by reading the checkpoint file. This means the internal
format of the file has to be deciphered.

Hence it looks like a lot of work so I would be very pleased
if someone could supply an automated procedure for doing this.
I prefer to treat these things as black boxes if possible
as I am mainly an experimentalist (read overpaid electronics tech).

Thanks in advance. Dr Richard Rothwell

djh@xipe.osc.edu (David Heisterberg) (03/19/91)

In article <5164@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CHERGR@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>I'm looking for a program to plot the electron density
>of a molecule from the output of the Gaussian 88 ab initio
>molecular orbital program.

You might want to look at using the CubeDensity option in g88.  It will
generate a 3D grid of density (total or valence only), gradient, or
divergence.  Gaussian 90 has a few more options, such as spin density.

I've been doing some similar things with the output of DMol (Biosym's
local density functional code) using the apE system.  Eventually I'll
get around to supporting Gaussian and ACES.
--
David J. Heisterberg		djh@osc.edu		And you all know
The Ohio Supercomputer Center	djh@ohstpy.bitnet	security Is mortals'