[comp.graphics.visualization] human factors and displays?

arjen@hcsrnd.UUCP (Arjen Uittenbogaard) (03/15/91)

Currently, I am working on a project on simulation and visualization. I am
looking for visualization techniques that are realistically enough to
cause natural reactions from the spectator (large screen, vizualization
dome, helmet display,...).

Apart from the techniques, I would also like to know whether research has
been carried out on the psychological effects of different simulation and
visualization techniques: how much realism is needed for humans to get the
impression that they are part of the reality being displayed?

All hints and references would be appreciated. (Post on this group or try
email to the address mentioned below.)

	|  Arjen Uittenbogaard  	PO Box 20020         |
	|  HCS Industrial Automation 	7302 HA Apeldoorn    |
	|  Phone: (..31)55 498646 	Netherlands          |
	|                 		                     |
	|  email: arjen@hcsrnd.uucp.nl                       |

I wrote:

>All hints and references would be appreciated. (Post on this group or try
>email to the address mentioned below.)

>	------------------------------------------------------
>	|  Arjen Uittenbogaard  	PO Box 20020         |
>	|  HCS Industrial Automation 	7302 HA Apeldoorn    |
>	|  Phone: (..31)55 498646 	Netherlands          |
>	|                 		                     |
>	|  email: arjen@hcsrnd.uucp.nl                       |
>	------------------------------------------------------

Please change the above email address to:

			hcsrnd!arjen@hp4nl.nl

				or

		       ....!hp4nl!hcsrnd!arjen

Sorry.
						Arjen.

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (03/19/91)

In article <908@hcsrnd.UUCP> arjen@hcsrnd.UUCP (Arjen Uittenbogaard) writes:

>Apart from the techniques, I would also like to know whether research has
>been carried out on the psychological effects of different simulation and
>visualization techniques: how much realism is needed for humans to get the
>impression that they are part of the reality being displayed?

Perhaps you are confusing the techniques of scientific visualization
and virtual reality.   The goal of the former is insight into data.
Realism is one way to do this, but not the goal.

With regards to your question, the flight simulation people may have concrete
numbers.

honig@ics.uci.edu (David Honig) (03/21/91)

In article <908@hcsrnd.UUCP> arjen@hcsrnd.UUCP (Arjen Uittenbogaard) writes:

>Currently, I am working on a project on simulation and visualization. I am
>looking for visualization techniques that are realistically enough to
>cause natural reactions from the spectator (large screen, vizualization
>dome, helmet display,...).
>
>Apart from the techniques, I would also like to know whether research has
>been carried out on the psychological effects of different simulation and
>visualization techniques: how much realism is needed for humans to get the
>impression that they are part of the reality being displayed?

Talk to a visual perception person, or look in the perception
literature.  Studieds have been done showing, eg, that a stimulus
witha wide visual angle is necessary to induce involuntary balancing
reactions.  Look under visuo-motor reflexes, looming, visually guided
navigation.

--
David A. Honig

$15e9 for a war = $ 60 /person... but hey, it was as entertaining as a dozen
movies, what a deal, next please...