[comp.graphics.visualization] Perceptually equidistant color scale

lipman@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Lipman) (03/27/91)

Essentially we are looking for a perceptually equidistant
rainbow looking color scale for a workstation monitor.
We would specify the colors in HLS or RGB system.
Please read comp.sys.apollo or comp.sys.sgi to see a longer
version of this post.  I forgot to post it over here.

Thanks in advance, e-mail please

Bob Lipman

maguire@cs.columbia.edu (Gerald Q. Maguire) (03/28/91)

See the paper in the SPIE proceedings (and several other places)
 about ~1980 by Steve Pizer of the Univ. of North Carolina on
generating good color scales. He basically does a psychophysics
experiment for each user and determine thes optimal color scale for
each user + monitor combination. It turns out that this gives the
highest amount of image transfer per pixel - as you have measured the
just-noticeable color difference for the image chain in question.

He has been doing these sorts of measurements for more than a decade -
so you might want to contact him: smp@cs.unc.edu
Chip

palmer@mcnc.org (Thomas C. Palmer) (03/29/91)

In article <MAGUIRE.91Mar27174136@cs.cs.columbia.edu>, maguire@cs.columbia.edu (Gerald Q. Maguire) writes:

> See the paper in the SPIE proceedings (and several other places)
>  about ~1980 by Steve Pizer of the Univ. of North Carolina on
> generating good color scales. He basically does a psychophysics
> experiment for each user and determine thes optimal color scale for
> each user + monitor combination. It turns out that this gives the
> highest amount of image transfer per pixel - as you have measured the
> just-noticeable color difference for the image chain in question.
>
> He has been doing these sorts of measurements for more than a decade -
> so you might want to contact him: smp@cs.unc.edu
> Chip

Has anyone tried generating colormaps by selecting colors along a line
in a "perceptually linear" color space and converting back to RGB?
Roy Hall's book ("Illumination and Color in Computer Generated
Imagery") discusses two such spaces: L*a*b* and L*u*v*.  Depending on
just how perceptually linear these color spaces are, this seems like a
reasonable approach.  I've been meaning to try this but haven't found
the time ...

Perceptually equidistant colormaps should work fine for 2D image
analysis applications.  Has anyone even considered attempting to do
the same thing for 3D stuff given that your colors are wildly
transformed by the illumination model?  The one saving grace is that
the human perceptual system is pretty good at judging an object's
color even under varying illumination conditions.

-Tom

"At 8,500 feet you rarely see a tax attorney or an obvious hairpiece."
							- Zippy

Thomas C. Palmer		North Carolina Supercomputing Center
Cray Research, Inc.		Phone: (919) 248-1117
PO Box 12889			Arpanet: palmer@ncsc.org
3021 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park, NC
27709