Thanks in advance.

From:      pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz
           (130.216.1.5)
AppleLink: NZ0028
Postage:   P.D.Bourke
           Architecture School, Auckland University
           Private Bag
           Auckland
           New Zealand
PH:        +64 9 737 999 x7367
Fax:       +64 9 366 4665

steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.074924.22830@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) writes:

  I am interested in finding out what techniques people use for rendering
  4 dimesional objects, ie: techniques that help one visualise such beasts.

  At the moment I do things like look at 2D projections, generate contour
  solids, and colour (yes thats how we spell it down here) depth cueing of
  wireframe images. I do this for the 4D equivalents of the cube, tetrhedron,
  octahedron, prism, and pyramid. I would like to extend it to a sphere and
  the torus.

So far I do random rotations of a cube (3-7 dimensions, though
anything above 5 can't even *begin* to be comprehended), with optional
stereopsis (split pair or red-blue).  I also allow perspective to be
varied.  I'm going to try putting stroke-font text on the faces,
spheres on the vertices, and making the wires into cylinders.

You wouldn't happen to know what the other Platonic solids in 4-D are?
(I understand there are 7, as opposed to 5 in 3-D and 3 in 5+).
--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

daf@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (04/18/91)

 steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) writes:
>  pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Bourke) writes:
>
>   I am interested in finding out what techniques people use for rendering
>   4 dimesional objects, ie: techniques that help one visualise such beasts.
>
>   At the moment I do things like look at 2D projections, generate contour
>   solids, and colour (yes thats how we spell it down here) depth cueing of
>   wireframe images. I do this for the 4D equivalents of the cube, tetrhedron,
>   octahedron, prism, and pyramid. I would like to extend it to a sphere and
>   the torus.
>
> So far I do random rotations of a cube (3-7 dimensions, though
> anything above 5 can't even *begin* to be comprehended), with optional
> stereopsis (split pair or red-blue).  I also allow perspective to be
> varied.  I'm going to try putting stroke-font text on the faces,
> spheres on the vertices, and making the wires into cylinders.
>
> You wouldn't happen to know what the other Platonic solids in 4-D are?
> (I understand there are 7, as opposed to 5 in 3-D and 3 in 5+).
Hi,

You might be interested in joining our little mailing list, involving the
discussion and creation of a 4-D visualization program called fourd.  The list
has some pretty heavy-duty members on it, such as Tom Banchoff, who did those
great 4-D computer simulations on videotape.

Mail fourd@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk  and ask to be put on the list, although it's
been a little quiet of late - don't know whether it is my mail feed or the
group!

cheers,
Daf.

PS. Anyone from the group out there - mail me if there have been any postings
in the last few weeks or so!
Davyd Norris		:	"Strange people physicists... In my opinion
Physics Dept.		:	 those that aren't already dead are in some
Monash University,	:        way very, very sick." - Douglas Adams,
Vic, Australia.		:	 "The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul"