[comp.graphics.visualization] Comparison of khoros with other packages?

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (06/06/91)

Just downloaded and compiled khoros: whew!

Can somebody provide a comparsion of khoros with other sci-vis
packages, whether public or comercial?  Others that come to mind are
apE, IDL/PV-Wave, AVS...  Come to think of it, even just a list of
similar packages would be helpful.

--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (06/12/91)

In article <298@venice.water.ca.gov>, rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:

> Can somebody provide a comparsion of khoros with other sci-vis
> packages, whether public or comercial?  Others that come to mind are
> apE, IDL/PV-Wave, AVS...  Come to think of it, even just a list of
> similar packages would be helpful.

I received a couple of high-quality replies...normally I would do a
true summary but since the replies don't overlap each other much I'll
just reproduce them here.

From: rasure@pprg.unm.edu (John Rasure)

As the director of the project, I can give you my biased opinion.
Then, after you get other reponses, you can distill my comments down
and come up with a reasonable view.

Khoros is designed to be a software development environment as well
as a "visualization" system.  The other systems do not have code
generators or interactive user interface builders.

[rfinch note: PV-Wave, (and IDL is working on it I think) have
interface builders; don't know how they compare with khoros.
Certainly neither of those has the connect-the-icon/glyph ease]

Khoros is good at image and signal processing ... weak in 3D rendering.
BUT, AVS and apE programs are easily callable from cantata.

The visual langauge in Khoros, cantata, is more capable and some say easier to
use than the others.  Cantata has flow control, visual hierarchies and
variable based parameters.

Khoros is an open system.

The Khoros X applications can have a distributed user interface (groupware).

. . .

I gave 2 presentations on Khoros at Los Alamos Labs yesterdday .... and
comparison type questions came up.  .... from the conversations I would
like to add these comments.

 one person summarized the differences by saying something like " Khoros
is much different than apE and AVS ... apE and AVS are designed for
visualization of 3d data ... Khoros is a visual programming environment ...

I added that you can call apE and AVS modules from within Khoros.

Khoros is intended to be a retargetable system.

Thanks

(p.s.  It is very important to qualify the comparison with a statment
that says "The best system is the one that solves your problem, all of the
systems are important in the evolution of visualization of data and programs."

			      ----------

From: dilsavor@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu (Ron L. Dilsavor)

I am somewhat familiar with both khoros and apE. I also hear that apE and AVS
are VERY similar. In short, the comparison between khoros and apE goes something
like this..

Khoros and apE both provide nice graphical programming interfaces. The
difference mainly is what you program. apE is a heavy duty data visualizer;
its built in code modules give you the ability to graphically display your
data in any way imaginable including volumetric rendering. The focus of khoros
modules, however, is on the processing of data (things like ffts, ,
edge detectors,  clustering, speckle reduction, etc). khoros has more extensive
data/image processing capability than apE but is less capable of graphically
displaying its results. For example, khoros does not provide volumetric rendering.

I can imagine using khoros to process data to the point when it's ready to display
and then sending the output to apE to do some fancy graphics. I have to admit
that khoros' plotting capability is not shabby and is straightforward, however,
it just doesn't match apE's extensive plotting capabilities.