[comp.graphics.visualization] NIH Image

cohen@lindsay.psychiatry.uiowa.edu (06/26/91)

I have just downloaded the latest incarnation of NIH Image and am having a few
problems with it.
I would like to use the 3D reconstruction feature, however, whenever I invoke
this, I get an error message indicating that the macro definition of nslice is
in error, something like that nslice is a reserved verb (noun, whatever...)  Is
there a more recent version of the 3D reconstruction macro than what came with
1.37?  am I just doing this wrong?
Also, when I attempted to use the test data set of 27 MR images that NIH was
kind enough to include, I seem to run out of memory (I have 8 MB in my Mac II
with 6.5 MB free when I start Image.
Again, am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong elsewhere?
Thanks for the help!!

I really really really DO LIKE IMAGE!!  I wish that someone had this for the PC
platform (DOS, WINDOWS, OS/2 I don't care, it would really be neat!!)

wayne@helix.nih.gov (06/26/91)

In article <6669@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> cohen@lindsay.psychiatry.uiowa.edu
writes:
> I have just downloaded the latest incarnation of NIH Image and am
> having a few problems with it.

The latest version of NIH Image, available via anonymous ftp from
alw.nih.gov, is 1.40b8. With this version, you don't need a macro for
3D reconstruction since a Reslice command is built in. V1.40 adds support for
"stacks", which are 3D data sets or movie loops displayed in a single
window and saved in one file. Working with the set of 27 MRI slices on
alw.nih.gov requires an application size of about 4000K under MultiFinder,
which you set using the Finder's Get Info command.

--wayne