[comp.graphics.visualization] Wanted: Info on 3-D reconstruction packages

phl01@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Prof. Peter H Lovell) (06/24/91)

One of the researchers in my department is interested in software and
hardware for 3-D reconstruction, where a series of images taken at
successive depths through a specimen are "reconstructed" into a 3-D
model of the specimen, so that it may be rotated and viewed from
various different angles to reveal structures that might not have been
visible in the original sections.

I'd like to find out what software/hardware other people are
using for this sort of work, and whether they have any recommendations.
We'd prefer to use a high-end Macintosh for the job, although I'm also
interested in hearing about solutions that use unix machines running
X-windows, and PC-based solutions. (Is a high-end Mac powerful enough
for this sort of work?)

We're mainly interested in using 3-D reconstruction to study plant organs
(i.e. images with lots of cells in them), though it would be a bonus if
we could use it on larger structures (the sort people look at through
stereo microscopes) and smaller structures such as cell organelles
viewed via an electron microscope.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Hammett, Department of Botany, Auckland University, New Zealand.
(phl01@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz)

--

Tim Hammett, Department of Botany, Auckland University, New Zealand.
e-mail: phl01@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz         Phone: (+64)-9-737-999 x8344

wayne@helix.nih.gov (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun23.214817.13956@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz>
phl01@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Prof. Peter H Lovell) writes:
> One of the researchers in my department is interested in software and
> hardware for 3-D reconstruction, where a series of images taken at
> successive depths through a specimen are "reconstructed" into a 3-D
> model of the specimen, so that it may be rotated and viewed from
> various different angles to reveal structures that might not have been
> visible in the original sections.

The public domain NIH Image program for the Mac, V1.40 or later, has the
ability to reconstruct slices from serial sections. It is available via
anonymous ftp from alw.nih.gov, in the directory /pub/image. DIP Station,
also for the Mac, has the ability to generate 3-D models from serial
sections. It is available from the Hayden Image Processing
Group(whc@po.cwru.edu) in Cleveland, Ohio.

jlong@tamu.edu (James Long) (06/28/91)

(Prof. Peter H Lovell) writes:
> One of the researchers in my department is interested in software and
> hardware for 3-D reconstruction, where a series of images taken at
> successive depths through a specimen are "reconstructed" into a 3-D
> model of the specimen, so that it may be rotated and viewed from
> various different angles to reveal structures that might not have been
> visible in the original sections.
>
> I'd like to find out what software/hardware other people are
> using for this sort of work, and whether they have any recommendations.
> We'd prefer to use a high-end Macintosh for the job, although I'm also
> interested in hearing about solutions that use unix machines running
> X-windows, and PC-based solutions. (Is a high-end Mac powerful enough
> for this sort of work?)
>
> We're mainly interested in using 3-D reconstruction to study plant organs
> (i.e. images with lots of cells in them), though it would be a bonus if
> we could use it on larger structures (the sort people look at through
> stereo microscopes) and smaller structures such as cell organelles
> viewed via an electron microscope.

If the mac + NIH Image are not powerful enough to do your reconstructions, you
might consider a Silicon Graphics (Unix Workstation) and a software package
called Voxel View from Vital Images. It does both 3-D reconstruction and volume
redering.  We are using it at this time to reconstruct data sets from a Zeiss
Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope.  It is a very nice package, but does
represent a more sustantial investment - it depends on your needs and
requirements for speed.  I have seen it used to reconstruct slices of a
paramecium in ice with striking results.  I have more info if you need it,

James Long
jlong@emcnext2.tamu.edu (may bounce)
snail mail:
Electron Microscopy Center
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843-2257
USA

lawrance@ncsa.uiuc.edu (David Lawrance) (06/28/91)

Our group has written a program, called viewit, which runs on Unix boxes,
best on those
with lots of memory and fast cycles, and does volumetric rendering, among
other
functions (about 300).  It and complete documentation are available on
ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
in the directory /unsupported/viewit.  There are also Sunview and SGI
display programs
in there.  It also works in conjunction with NCSA Telnet, DataScope and
Image 3.0.