[comp.graphics.visualization] APE

jeyadev@WRC.XEROX.COM (Jeyadev) (11/15/90)

Could someone tell me how I go about obtaining the apE visualization
software from the Ohio Supercomputing Centre? I would like to have an
address and/or telephone number.

Thanks

--
Surendar Jeyadev     Internet: jeyadev.wbst128@xerox.com

We have faults we have hardly used yet

PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Kunz) (01/28/91)

  This is a survey to those funded by DoE.

  Do you have or  have ordered apE?

  If yes, then how long did you legal department take to sign  the
license?

  I'm just checking if my own legal department is off scale or just
normal.

jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (02/02/91)

In article <91027.193421PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>
PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Kunz) writes:

>  This is a survey to those funded by DoE.
>
>  Do you have or  have ordered apE?
>
>  If yes, then how long did you legal department take to sign  the
>license?
>
>  I'm just checking if my own legal department is off scale or just
>normal.

We don't have an explicit legal department, and we are not DoE, but
apE's software license does contain some hairy clauses.  For one thing,
it states that all employees who use apE must indicate in writing that
they have read and agree to comply with the terms of the license.

Arranging that might be giving your folks some trouble.

--

Jonathan Abbey (512) 472-2052        \                           (512) 835-3081
jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu           \        broccol@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu

ktl@sgi1.wag.caltech.edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (02/02/91)

	For those who have managed to get apE 2.0, have you had any
problems with the control dials?  Setting the min and max values of a
dial interactively seems to have no effect, though setting it in the
Flux file that defines the dial does work.  [Note: I haven't delved
too far into apE; this shows up even in the tutorials.]  Is there a
known patch for this?  Is there a mailing list for apE (I don't see
one mentioned in the newsletters or the documentation), or does
everything go through Ms. Messenger?
--
Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wag.caltech.edu, KTL @ CITCHEM.BITNET, GEnie: K.LIM1)

kellow@leahy.cheg.nd.edu (John Kellow) (02/02/91)

In article <43550@ut-emx.uucp> jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>In article <91027.193421PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>
>PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Kunz) writes:
>>
>>  This is a survey to those funded by DoE.
>>
>>  Do you have or  have ordered apE?
>>
>>  If yes, then how long did you legal department take to sign  the
>>license?
>>
>>  I'm just checking if my own legal department is off scale or just
>>normal.
>
>We don't have an explicit legal department, and we are not DoE, but
>apE's software license does contain some hairy clauses.  For one thing,
>it states that all employees who use apE must indicate in writing that
>they have read and agree to comply with the terms of the license.
>
>Arranging that might be giving your folks some trouble.
>
>--
>
>Jonathan Abbey (512) 472-2052        \                           (512) 835-3081
>jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu           \        broccol@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu
>The University of Texas at Austin      \          Applied Research Laboratories

Having just read and signed the agreement, I have to agree that it does
contain some pretty hairy clauses.  My question is how is this going
to affect software that you write using the apE libraries?  Are you
allowed to share your modules or are they encumbered by the license?
What about porting it to a new platform?  It looks like a lot of thought
and effort was put into making apE portable and extensible.  It could become
the GNU Emacs of visualization, but after reading that license agreement
I wonder if that will ever happen.

On  related note, is there a mailing list specifically for discussing
the use and programming of apE? (or is that the kind of thing that this group
is for, but so far the traffic in this group seems pretty light).

John Kellow
kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu

anderson@osc.edu (Steve Anderson) (02/04/91)

There's been lots of discussion lately about the gnarly license form
for apE. Although I'm a programmer, not a lawyer, I wanted to
add a bit of re-assurance.

In 25 words or less, -- relax. Remember the spirit of the effort.
90% of the wording in the contract comes from standard University
contracts at OSU, clauses all required by state law. If you have a
problem with the license, direct your questions to Michelle Messenger,
(michelle@osgp.osc.edu) or (614) 292-0006, (614) 292-0006 (FAX).
We will do our best to work out any kinks.

The response to apE so far has been phenomenal. apE is in use
on all 7 continents (including Antartica). The number of orders
was tremendous (exact count I'm not sure, but we have a world
map in our conference room that is almost entirely red with
pushpins denoting shipped copies). We appreciate everyone's interests.

I can also say that we are currently preparing the first update
to fix the first wave of bugs and support for some machines that
we had not tested when 2.0 began shipping.

Questions, bug reports, etc., can be e-mailed to apE@osgp.osc.edu.
PostScript documentation and up to date information on bugs, etc.
can be ftp'd at apE.osgp.osc.edu (128.146.18.18)

--steve

--
 H. Stephen Anderson			 | email: anderson@osgp.osc.edu
 The Ohio Supercomputer Graphics Project | Phone: (614) 292-3274

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (02/16/91)

In article <43550@ut-emx.uucp> jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
|>In article <91027.193421PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>
|>PFKEB@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Kunz) writes:
|>>
|>>  This is a survey to those funded by DoE.
|>>
|>>  Do you have or  have ordered apE?
|>>
|>>  If yes, then how long did you legal department take to sign  the
|>>license?
|>>
|>>  I'm just checking if my own legal department is off scale or just
|>>normal.
|>
|>We don't have an explicit legal department, and we are not DoE, but
|>apE's software license does contain some hairy clauses.  For one thing,
|>it states that all employees who use apE must indicate in writing that
|>they have read and agree to comply with the terms of the license.
|>
|>Arranging that might be giving your folks some trouble.
|>
|>--
|>
|>Jonathan Abbey (512) 472-2052        \                           (512) 835-3081
|>jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu           \        broccol@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu
|>The University of Texas at Austin      \          Applied Research Laboratories

When we drove to Columbus and met with the Ohio Supercomputer Center folks,
they said, as I recall, "just cross out anything you don't like on the license
agreement and send it back.  Our legal folks aren't that hard to get along with."

Our legal folks are sticklers for detail and they only had one minor problem
which didn't deal with the "everyone has to read it" clause.  One of our
vendors gets around that issue by prepending the application's operation with
a natice that has to be responded to with a CR before proceeding into the
application ...

Rob Lake
I certainly don't speak for our legal staffs!

schultz@halley.est.3m.com (John C. Schultz) (03/02/91)

Could someone enlighten me as to what is apE? Is free? Available for
anonymous ftp?

Thanks.

--
John C. Schultz                    EMAIL: schultz@halley.serc.3m.com
3M Company,  Building 518-01-1     WRK: +1 (612) 733-4047

okeefe@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul O'Keefe) (03/05/91)

In article <SCHULTZ.91Mar1200014@halley.est.3m.com>, schultz@halley.est.3m.com (John C. Schultz) writes:

> Could someone enlighten me as to what is apE?

ApE is a visualization package from the Ohio Supercompter Center at OSU.

> Is it free?

No, but it is cheap; $75.00 for either an academic or non-academic license.
That includes pre-built Sparc and SGI binaries, source code, demos, and
printed manuals.

> Available for anonymous ftp?

It follows from above that it is not available by anonymous ftp.
However, a technical summary, order form, and license agreements are
available in PostScript form by anonymous ftp at apE.osgp.osc.edu
(128.146.18.18).

michelle@osc.edu (Michelle Messenger) (04/12/91)

The ordering procedure/distribution method for apE has changed.
The good news is, if you are an academic institution, getting apE is
now much easier! It won't even cost $75! The Ohio State
University and The Ohio Supercomputer Center are currently reviewing
our distribution policy for non-academic's who wish to obtain apE.

The new ordering procedure for apE 2.1 is as follows (this is for
academic institutions only):

1)  You obtain a copy of the apE license agreement via anonymous
ftp from apE.osgp.osc.edu (128.146.18.18).

2) You complete and sign the license and send it to me,
Michelle Messenger, OSC, 1224 Kinnear Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43212.

3)  After I receive the license, I will issue a private ftp account so
that you may obtain the software.

And that's it!  There's no $ involved.  If you do not have ftp access,
you may send a tape (1/4" cartridge, either 60mb or 150mb,
8mm exabyte, 9-track, or NeXT optical disk) to me at the address
above.  You must also cover return postage (e.g. give me a
Fed Ex acct. #, send stamps, etc.)

If you are an non-academic institution, we can send you general
information on apE, but you will have to wait to receive ordering
information. We hope to announce all the details of the new distribution
 procedure in a few weeks. Please watch our anonymous ftp area
for details:  apE.osgp.osc.edu (128.146.18.18).

--Michelle

Michelle Messenger
apE Project Coordinator
michelle@rhett.osgp.osc.edu
FAX: 614-292-7168

--
 Michelle Messenger			 | email: michelle@osgp.osc.edu
 The Ohio Supercomputer Graphics Project | Phone:

repeat@athena.mit.edu (David A. Irvine) (06/30/91)

Can anyone tell me where I can get information on the new (and
powerful) graphics and visualization program called "APE"?

If you know what computer network I can get it from that would
also be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Dave
repeat@athena.mit.edu