[alt.books.technical] WANTED: Brian Stroustrup's THE C++ PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov01.220407.7544@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> sinclair@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (David A Sinclair) writes:
>Hi!  I am looking for a used copy of Brian Stroustrup's
>THE C++ PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE (1990).

Ah-ha!  Bjarne's evil twin, no doubt.  That explains why you're looking for
this non-existent book.  There is a second edition of _The C++ Programming
Language_ scheduled to be released by Addison-Wesley in 1991.  The book is
supposed to cover C++ 3.0.  I don't know whether the book will actually appear
in February as scheduled (I'd bet a small amount that it won't), but I doubt
that you want to wait for it anyway.

Try looking for _The C++ Programming Language_ by Bjarne Stroustrup, published
by Addison-Wesley.  Seems like the original copyright was '85, though it's been
reprinted several times.

--
jamesd@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}!techbook!jamesd
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov3.090149.20587@techbook.com>, jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) writes:
> In article <1990Nov01.220407.7544@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> sinclair@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (David A Sinclair) writes:
> >Hi!  I am looking for a used copy of Brian Stroustrup's
> >THE C++ PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE (1990).

You probably mean "The Annotated C++ Reference Manual", by Margaret Ellis and
Bjarne Stroustrup.  This book is a valuable reference, not an easy book for
beginners. (since he said 1990, he probably heard that the '85 book was
outdated and there is a new one.  This is the new one).

> Try looking for _The C++ Programming Language_ by Bjarne Stroustrup, published
> by Addison-Wesley.  Seems like the original copyright was '85, though it's been
> reprinted several times.

NO! NO! NO!

Do NOT buy that book unless you're interested in the historical development of
the language.  That book describes version 1.0 of the language and is thoroughly
outdated.  If you learn the language from that book, you'll need to unlearn.

--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck