[alt.books.technical] c++ books

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (03/07/91)

In article <ZHOU.91Mar5145920@seat.ece.cmu.edu> zhou@seat.ece.cmu.edu (Frank Lei Zhou) writes:
>Heard that the SECOND editions of Lippman's "C++ Primer" and Stroustrup's
>"The C++ Programming Language" are available. Has anyone had a chance to

As they say, "you heard wrong".  :-) Both books are currently scheduled for
June release by Addison-Wesley.  The second edition of the Stroustrup book has
an ISBN of 0-201-53992-6 and is scheduled to be a $34.50 hardcover.  The
second edition of Lippman has an ISBN of 0-201-54848-8 and is scheduled to be
a $32.25 paperback.  Prices and bindings may change between now and then, of
course.

I would bet that the Lippman book would be more likely to make its scheduled
release date, but it seems that most programs are delayed these days, which
usually means that books will lag behind the release of a new version.  If
C++ 3.0 is on schedule, maybe they'll be out on time.

--

TECHbooks offers many technical books at discounted prices.  E-mail to
info@techbook.com or fax to +1 503 248-6320 for details.

bk19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bradley D. Keister) (03/12/91)

> In article <ZHOU.91Mar5145920@seat.ece.cmu.edu> zhou@seat.ece.cmu.edu
(Frank Lei Zhou) writes:
> >Heard that the SECOND editions of Lippman's "C++ Primer" and Stroustrup's
> >"The C++ Programming Language" are available. Has anyone had a chance to
>
> As they say, "you heard wrong".  :-) Both books are currently scheduled for
> June release by Addison-Wesley.  The second edition of the Stroustrup
book has
> an ISBN of 0-201-53992-6 and is scheduled to be a $34.50 hardcover.  The
> second edition of Lippman has an ISBN of 0-201-54848-8 and is scheduled to be
> a $32.25 paperback.  Prices and bindings may change between now and then, of
> course.

Is there any information available on what is new about the second
editions of these books?  For example, Lippman is presently compatible
with AT&T 2.0.  Does the new edition go to 2.1?  Mostly bug fixes?
I'd like to know because I was within one day of purchasing Lippman's
first edition when this post came out.

Brad Keister
Physics Dept.
Carnegie Mellon U

orders@techbook.com (TECHbooks Official Login) (04/02/91)

>Is there any information available on what is new about the second
>editions of these books?  For example, Lippman is presently compatible
>with AT&T 2.0.  Does the new edition go to 2.1?  Mostly bug fixes?
>I'd like to know because I was within one day of purchasing Lippman's
>first edition when this post came out.

It's my understanding that both books will cover C++ 3.0, or at least that's
what my friendly Addison-Wesley rep tells me.  I don't know where 3.0 is
in the pipeline, so I don't know whether the books will come out on time
or not.  If I were you, I'd buy the current version of Lippman and worry
about the latest stuff later (unless you absolutely have to be current with
the absolute latest version).  You'll have a couple of months start on C++.

--
Voice: +1 503 646-8257  FAX: +1 503 248-6320  orders@techbook.com  - or -
Public Access UNIX site: +1 503 644-8135   ...!uunet!techbook!orders