[comp.benchmarks] SPEC info

	How do you go about getting a copy of the spec source, etc?  I assume
we have to get a tape from somewhere (the SPEC consortium), and in order to
have the results published in the SPEC newsletter we have to join the
consortium.

	Thanks for any answers.  Perhaps at some point we should consider
a monthly posting with standard information on where to get various benchmark
sources, answers to common questions, etc.  (It's a bit early yet, this will
be message #2 here. ;-)

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

knighten@Encore.com (Robert L. Knighten) (11/08/90)

The address and phone number for contacting SPEC:

SPEC
c/o Waterside Associates
39510 Paseo Padre Parkway
Suite 350
Fremont, CA 94538
(415) 792-3334

Subscription to the SPEC Newsletter and SPEC Benchmark Results is $399.

A copy of the SPEC Benchmark tape together with a one year subscription to the
SPEC Newsletter is $699.  Membership in SPEC is open only to companies.  There
is a $10,000 initiation fee and $5,000 annual dues.

"The SPEC Benchmark results reported in the Benchmark Results section of the
SPEC Newsletter are submitted to SPEC by the reporting companies.  Each
reporting company has represented to SPEC that it has used the SPEC Benchmark
Suite to measure the the performance of its own computers, that the
measurements were conducted fairly and honestly, and that the results reported
are accurate and verifiable."  [Quoted from SPEC Newsletter Benchmark Results,
Spring 1990]

There is not a requirement of membership for reporting.

This information was gleaned from the most recent issues of the SPEC
Newsletter, but I may have confused something.
--
Bob Knighten
Encore Computer Corp., 257 Cedar Hill Street, Marlborough, MA 01752

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (11/09/90)

In article <15710@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	How do you go about getting a copy of the spec source, etc?

Contact:

	SPEC
	c/o Waterside Associates
	39510 Paseo Padre Pkwy., Suite 350
	Fremont, CA 94358
	(415) 792-2901

When I purchased a SPEC license it cost $450.  That includes $150 for a
one-year subscription to the SPEC license.

rnovak@mips.com (Robert E. Novak) (11/13/90)

In article <KNIGHTEN.90Nov8105457@pinocchio.Encore.com>,
knighten@Encore.com (Robert L. Knighten) writes:
> The address and phone number for contacting SPEC:
>
> SPEC
> c/o Waterside Associates
> 39510 Paseo Padre Parkway
> Suite 350
> Fremont, CA 94538
> (415) 792-3334
>
> Subscription to the SPEC Newsletter and SPEC Benchmark Results is $399.
>
> A copy of the SPEC Benchmark tape together with a one year
subscription to the
> SPEC Newsletter is $699.  Membership in SPEC is open only to
companies.  There
> is a $10,000 initiation fee and $5,000 annual dues.

There are no individual memberships for SPEC.  However, SPEC has
approved a special membership program for non-profit organizations and
educational institutions at a significantly reduced initiation and
membership fee.

> "The SPEC Benchmark results reported in the Benchmark Results section of the
> SPEC Newsletter are submitted to SPEC by the reporting companies.  Each
> reporting company has represented to SPEC that it has used the SPEC Benchmark
> Suite to measure the the performance of its own computers, that the
> measurements were conducted fairly and honestly, and that the results
reported
> are accurate and verifiable."  [Quoted from SPEC Newsletter Benchmark
Results,
> Spring 1990]
>
> There is not a requirement of membership for reporting.

Although no membership is required to report results in the press or
other media, publication in the newsletter is restricted to members.
SPEC is actively seeking to broaden its membership with user
organizations (E.G. Houston 30 - please contact SPEC!).  The current
membership is highly biased by computer manufacturers only.

> This information was gleaned from the most recent issues of the SPEC
> Newsletter, but I may have confused something.
> --
> Bob Knighten
> Encore Computer Corp., 257 Cedar Hill Street, Marlborough, MA 01752
> Internet:  knighten@encore.com             (508) 460-0500 ext. 2626
> uucp:  {bu-cs,decvax,gould}!encore!knighten
---
Robert E. Novak                     Mail Stop 5-10, MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rnovak      950 DeGuigne Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94086
rnovak@mips.COM        (rnovak%mips.COM@ames.arc.nasa.gov)      +1 408 524-7183