[comp.benchmarks] X terminal comparison

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (11/13/90)

[note: followups directed to comp.benchmarks]

In article <9011121342.AA13630@sunbim.be>, db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) writes:

>	An objective benchmark would also list the high-end b&w NCD's (NCD19)
>	as well as the low-end Visual (X15).

So unless he has one of everything he can't post any results?  That hardly
seems necessary.

>	The current 2.2 version improves overall performance with 15..30%,
>	while the future 2.3 version will go even further.

He identified which versions were tested.

>4. Hank doesn't describe the method used for his measurements in detail. This
>	would be useful for several things :
>		- do the same test on more X terminals, to add to the list
>		- verification of the correctness of (a) these results
>			and (b) the method used in the benchmark.

I agree it would be good to make this available.  I don't know if it's
necessary to include it in every report posted, if its availability is
mentioned.

>5. Hanks benchmark is only a benchmark. Important points in the comparison of
>	different X terminals are :
>		- ease of installation
>		- administrative features
>		- ergonomic features
>		- connectivity options
>		- options for management of large sites
>		- ability to run local clients
>		- network management (SNMP)

No kidding.  Benchmarks is benchmarks.  The existence of fools who would use
benchmarks results as the only criterion for selecting a system should not
preclude the distribution of the information to those who apply a more
thorough selection process.

>A final point I would like to make is the fact that Hank didn't do the bench-
>marks himself. While this is a good attempt to avoid flames, I would suggest
>him not to post any more of these magnificent examples of misinformation
>on the net.

I encourage Hank to continue posting his results, and I hope people like you
will continue to analyze his postings for validity and consistency.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems