[comp.benchmarks] Optimal Computer Architectures

neal@uikku.tut.fi (Norwitz Neal) (11/09/90)

I have a recursive algorithm that I would like to run as fast as possible.  I am running a part of it on a SPARCstation SLC.  But at this rate, it might finnish in a couple of years!!  I was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of architectures that may suit this recursive algorithm better than others.  The program takes no memory (about 12K).  So all I need is speed.  There are no floating point operations, except a couple of increments.

Also, any information about speed ratings (in mips) from many different computers would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Neal Norwitz
neal@tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.212412.14317@funet.fi> neal@uikku.tut.fi (Norwitz
Neal) writes:

$
$ I have a recursive algorithm that I would like to run as fast as possible.  I am running a part of it on a SPARCstation SLC.  But at this rate, it might finnish in a couple of years!!  I was wondering if someone could suggest a couple of architectures tha
$ t may suit this recursive algorithm better than others.  The program takes no memory (about 12K).  So all I need is speed.  There are no floating point operations, except a couple of increments.
$
$ Also, any information about speed ratings (in mips) from many different computers would be appreciated.

You pose a vague question, so I don't know what we (the net) can
suggest.  If it's really going to take years with the current
algorithm, it sounds worthwhile changing it to an iterative one.

Have you looked at lisp systems?  Some of them handle recursion pretty
efficiently.  I am not talking about lisp running under UNIX.  I am
talking about machines with lisp semantics in the processor.
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

berg@cip-s04.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (AKA Solitair) (11/16/90)

Norwitz Neal writes:
>I have a recursive algorithm that I would like to run as fast as possible.
>I am running a part of it on a SPARCstation SLC.  But at this rate, it might
>finnish in a couple of years!!

Why don't you have a look at the FORTH-chip (don't remember the manufacturer,
the part number should be something like 4016 if I recall correctly), the
processor has no general purpose registers, just a stack cache, the thing
was designed to execute *native* FORTH (a medium to high level threaded stack
based language) code.  Last I heard about it, they we're designing a
new one.  This processor was practically designed for recursive algorithms.
--
Sincerely,                 berg%cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de@unido.bitnet
           Stephen R. van den Berg.