[comp.benchmarks] Calculating MIPS

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (11/16/90)

Exactly how do you calculate the MIPS rating of a processor? Is it derived
directly from the instruction set and cycle timings, or is it more empirical?

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov16.080815@mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Exactly how do you calculate the MIPS rating of a processor? Is it derived
>directly from the instruction set and cycle timings, or is it more empirical?

It's worse than either of those approaches.  What passes for a MIPS these
days is really a "VAX dhrystone equivalent".  If you assume that a 780 is
a 1 MIPS machine, and run a dhrystone benchmark on it, you get a number,
e.g., 1750 dhrystones/sec.  (Ignoring the variations due to compiler, OS,
dhrystone versions, system load and configuration)  The you run (presumably)
the same dhrystone benchmark on your system and divide its result by the
VAX result.  What you get is "MIPS".

And Eugene thinks SPECmarks are bad...

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

rnovak@mips.com (Robert E. Novak) (11/17/90)

Mandelberg) writes:
> Exactly how do you calculate the MIPS rating of a processor? Is it derived
> directly from the instruction set and cycle timings, or is it more empirical?
>
> --
This is exactly why SPEC was formed.  There was no consistent method for
measuring "mips" ratings.  Do you use Dhrystone 1.1 "mips", do you count
instruction counts (CISC manufacturers cried foul when RISC did this),
do you take a suite of UNIX applications and measure their relative
performance to a VAX (which VAX, what suite?)?

This lead to a great number of claims and counterclaims about who had
the best "mips" rating.  With SPEC, at least the counterclaims have
stopped.  We now have definitive (if not perfect) answers.  SPEC will
continue to add applications to the SPEC suite.  Stay tuned for more
information.
---
Robert E. Novak                     Mail Stop 5-10, MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rnovak      950 DeGuigne Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94086
rnovak@mips.COM        (rnovak%mips.COM@ames.arc.nasa.gov)      +1 408 524-7183