[comp.benchmarks] multi user benchmark

bf@sbuvax.rz.uni-sb.de (Bernd Faerber) (11/30/90)

Hallo,

does anybody know something of a multi user benchmark, which
can simulate/generate a multi user load typically found in a
university environment ?

Thanks

sed@sppy00.UUCP (DRISCOLL STEVE) (12/03/90)

There is a company named AIM Technology which sells benchmark reports and
software for doing your own benchmarks.  They have several products
depending on the type of benchmark you need.  A quick description:
     o  SUITE V, WORKSTATION BENCHMARKS (Single user, multi tasking)
     o SUITE III, MULTIUSER BENCHMARK
     o AIM UTILITIES BENCHMARK (check this one out, it can be tailored to
       fit your environment.  Includes Office automation, engineering, etc.)
     o SUITE X, The X Window benchmark.
     o SUITE II, Subsystem Benchmark. (benchmarks isolated components of the
       system.  You get individual readings for I/O, CPU, memory, etc.).

I've found these reports useful and _EASY TO INTERPRET_.  AIM's addresses
are:
		AIM Technology
		4699 Old Ironsides Dr.
		Suite 150
		Santa Clara, CA. 95054

Telephone: 800-848-UNIX;   FAX: 408-748-0161;   E-MAIL: benchinfo@aim.com
--
*** ** * | |    OO     CC   L     CC     //
*** ** * | |   O  O   C     L    C      //

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (12/04/90)

In article <7912@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de>, bf@sbuvax.rz.uni-sb.de (Bernd Faerber) writes:
> does anybody know something of a multi user benchmark, which
> can simulate/generate a multi user load typically found in a
> university environment ?

Try the Monash University Software for Benchmarking Unix Systems (MUSBUS).
Version 5.0 is available from comp.sources.unix in Volume 11, issues 29
through 32.  The version 5.2 update appears in volume 12, issues 78 through
80.  You can access comp.sources.unix via anonymous ftp to j.cc.purdue.edu,
among others.

Vic Abell <abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu>