[comp.benchmarks] i860

hooft@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Rob Hooft) (11/26/90)

Did anyone ever run some real applications on a i860? I have the option to buy
one to put into an AT as a compute-server, but I don't know what to expect
for real applications.
--
Rob Hooft, Chemistry department University of Utrecht.
hooft@hutruu54.bitnet hooft@chem.ruu.nl hooft@fys.ruu.nl

donc@microsoft.UUCP (Don CORBITT) (12/05/90)

In article <1793@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl> hooft@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Rob Hooft) writes:
>Did anyone ever run some real applications on a i860? I have the option to buy
>one to put into an AT as a compute-server, but I don't know what to expect
>for real applications.
>--
>Rob Hooft, Chemistry department University of Utrecht.
>hooft@hutruu54.bitnet hooft@chem.ruu.nl hooft@fys.ruu.nl
In a previous life(tm), I helped port a 3D modeling and rendering system
from DOS (16 bit code) to the Truevision i860 board.  Using the early
compilers (and who doesn't?), I saw 6-8x performance improvement over a
386/20MHz.  We _didn't_ enable any compiler optimizations, so this
could probably be called a lower bound to performance improvement.  I haven't
heard what happened to performance with the new compilers.

PS - I'm currently doing some MS level projects on the i860, including a
simple simulator.  (Yes, I'm re-inventing the wheel.)
--
Don Corbitt, donc@microsoft.uucp, not a spokesmodel for MSC
Mail flames, post retractions.   Support short signatures, 3 lines max.