[comp.benchmarks] PD suite of benchmarks

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/29/90)

Howdy.  Considering the high price of the SPEC suite, I was wondering if
anybody would be willing to get together some sort of PD suite of benchmarks.
I am thinking (NO! Really? 8-) along these lines:

-a ray trace (DKBTrace gets my vote here!)
-Large composite number factoring.  Say factor a 20 digit composite composed
 of 2 10 digit primes.
-Matrix stuff (say inversion, rref, etc).
-FFT
-Fractal (say a 1 megapixel render at 1000 iterations of the whole set)
-some of the more generic, useless benchmarks to please the mindless hordes
	-dhrystone,whetstone,savage,sieve,...
-quite a few others which I have been too stupid to mention

Suggestions welcome, and wanted.

		Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.073135.21264@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

   Howdy.  Considering the high price of the SPEC suite, I was wondering if
   anybody would be willing to get together some sort of PD suite of
   benchmarks.

Most of the SPEC codes are available from other sources. The tape cost
(which is relatively nominal) funds the process (which includes
portation of the codes to a variety of platforms, correctness testing
etc.).
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

crispin@csd.uwo.ca (Crispin Cowan) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.073135.21264@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Howdy.  Considering the high price of the SPEC suite, I was wondering if
>anybody would be willing to get together some sort of PD suite of benchmarks.
Since all of the programs in the SPEC suite are supposed to be freely
distributable (like gcc and LaTeX), all that should be necessary is to
get a complete list of the programs, get copies of the software from
where ever, and come up with a suitably representative set of input data
for each program, and you should have a FreeMark that tracks the
SPECMark pretty closely.  You might even be able to wangle a copy of the
input data that SPEC uses, depending on it's copyright status, and how
SPEC feels about an un-official free version of their suite floating
around.

On the other hand, who wants to volunteer for all this fun work?

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CS grad student, University of Western Ontario
Work:  MC28-C, x3342 crispin@csd.uwo.ca
890 Elias St., London, Ontario, N5W 3P2,  432-7823
	---> Support the GST:  Canada's first fair tax <---

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.073135.21264@engin.umich.edu>
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Howdy.  Considering the high price of the SPEC suite, I was wondering if
>anybody would be willing to get together some sort of PD suite of benchmarks.
>I am thinking (NO! Really? 8-) along these lines:
>
>-a ray trace (DKBTrace gets my vote here!)
>-Large composite number factoring.  Say factor a 20 digit composite composed
> of 2 10 digit primes.
>-Matrix stuff (say inversion, rref, etc).
>-FFT
>-Fractal (say a 1 megapixel render at 1000 iterations of the whole set)
>-some of the more generic, useless benchmarks to please the mindless hordes
>	-dhrystone,whetstone,savage,sieve,...
>-quite a few others which I have been too stupid to mention
>
>Suggestions welcome, and wanted.

Some points:
There are many "public domain" benchmarks: The Livermore Loops,
The Whet and Dhrystones (etc.stones, rolling stones...), our own NAS
kernels are part of SPEC.  I can post those, note it has an FFT and matrix
stuff.

But....what's representative?  You can't expect to just run a code and get
something meaningful.  Various factors affect the performance of codes.
The NAS kernels take took an 7 hours to run on a VAX 11/780.
1 minute on a Cray X-MP, 27 seconds on a Y-MP.  The matrix multiply
is a 4-way unrolled loop which also requires 64-bit single precision.
The FFT requires 64-bit COMPLEX for a 1K 2-D FFT (128-bit precision)
(do you know how many 32-bit compilers do NOT support a double precision
complex data type? [most]).  Can't run this test.

The fractal and ray trace stuff also requires some consistency.
We hashed this in the TIGPE group of the local SIGGRAPH (what's a
representative scene?).  So prior agreement is required, and then you also
need to have a base of results.

Not easy.  Have to leave now, got to go benchmarking.  Got a new machine
to try out......

--e.n. miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,most gateways}!ames!eugene
  AMERICA: CHANGE IT OR LOSE IT.

walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) (12/05/90)

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) writes:
>Most of the SPEC codes are available from other sources. The tape cost
>(which is relatively nominal) funds the process (which includes
>portation of the codes to a variety of platforms, correctness testing
>etc.).

The tape and newsletter revenues partially fund the adminstrative
expenses.  Analysis, porting, and testing costs are much higher, and
are funded by the SPEC member companies through contributed time by
engineers.  SPEC Steering Committee members (like Sun) bear even more
of the costs.

In article <1646@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> crispin@csd.uwo.ca (Crispin Cowan) writes:
>Since all of the programs in the SPEC suite are supposed to be freely
>distributable (like gcc and LaTeX), all that should be necessary is to
>get a complete list of the programs, get copies of the software from
>where ever, and come up with a suitably representative set of input data
>for each program...

Yes, it's likely you could get free versions of most of them, but...

>On the other hand, who wants to volunteer for all this fun work?

...don't expect to be able to do the work for the price of a tape.

(I am speaking neither for Intergraph nor for SPEC.)
--
Walter Bays		Phone (415) 852-2384	FAX (415) 856-9224
EMAIL walter@apd.ingr.com	or	...!ingr!apd!walter