[comp.benchmarks] 80386

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (12/06/90)

	This is probably a "frequently asked question", but where may
I find what used to be sent out as a listing of benchmarks for "all"
computers/OS's.

	In particular, I'm looking for performance comparisons between
the 80386(MS-DOS), 80386SX(MS-DOS), 68030(MacOS), and 68040(NexT unix).
Both general and a floating point hardware numbers would be appreciated.
Three platforms are being looked at for a Mathematics Lab using mostly
Mathematica, but also a variety of home grown and/or publicly available
software.  These numbers would only be one of several criteria for
selection.  One vendor is claiming that the any program (Mathematica,
Pagemaker, etc.) running on a 16MHz 386SX MSDOS system will outperform
the same program running on a MacIIsi (20MHz 68030).  I find this difficult
to swallow, so I'm appealing to the net for any assistance.

	If anyone knows of some available comparisons, I would appreciate
hearing of them.

Thanks,
-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Director	  BITNET:   mcguffey@marshall
Office of Institutional Research  Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu
Marshall University		  Phone:    304/696-3212
Huntington, WV 25755		  FAX:      304/696-3601

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/07/90)

In article <31766@muvms3.bitnet> mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:

>	In particular, I'm looking for performance comparisons between
>the 80386(MS-DOS), 80386SX(MS-DOS), 68030(MacOS), and 68040(NexT unix).
>Both general and a floating point hardware numbers would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, I got the following numbers from one of the Dhrystone
benchmarks floating around:

            386SX (16mhz) 386DX (20mhz)     486 (25mhz)  Sun 4/330

SunOS cc    ----          ----              -----        27000
ESIX cc     4500          8000              24000        -----
gnu 1.37.1  5000          9000              28000        -----

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

You can please all of the people some of the time,

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (12/07/90)

by mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey):
>         ...These numbers would only be one of several criteria for
> selection.  One vendor is claiming that the any program (Mathematica,
> Pagemaker, etc.) running on a 16MHz 386SX MSDOS system will outperform
> the same program running on a MacIIsi (20MHz 68030).  I find this difficult

  The only _reasonable_ difference I could forsee is the DOS machine would
have an FPU (usually don't). The IIsi doesn't come with an FPU but you
do get one with either slot-thing-card (NuBus or 030 Direct).
  As far as ALL programs, the sales-slime is probably talking a lot of
BS. The 386sx has a 16 bit data path while the 030 in the IIsi is using
a 32 bit path. This should make an appreciable difference on cpu
intensive programs. Also, I am under the impression that most DOS stuff
is NOT written for a 32 bit instruction set, which would preclude
running on XTs and ATs.
  If this DOS machine is to be running Windows, then I suspect there
isn't a chance in hell of it keeping up.

> -- michael
> Michael McGuffey, Director	  BITNET:   mcguffey@marshall
> Office of Institutional Research  Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu
> Marshall University		  Phone:    304/696-3212
> Huntington, WV 25755		  FAX:      304/696-3601
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "Get bent."
|=(___)= | minich@d.cs.okstate.edu  |               -- Bart Simpson
|   U    | - Ackphtth               |