[comp.benchmarks] SPEC & copyright

de5@de5.ctd.ornl.gov (Sill D E) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec13.050207.24319@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>Dave Sill writes:
>>
>>Hmmm.  Anyone got any SPEC results?  (E-mail, please, and I'll
edit.)

>You might want to check out the copyright issues first. Or perhaps
it
>would be a good idea if someone contacted SPEC and asked them about
>such listings.

There's no need.  Copyright covers expression, not information
content.  For example, it's OK to republish recipes from a cookbook
as
long as they're rewritten differently enough.  The exact meaning of
"differently enough" is, of course, a murky legal issue for lawyers
deal hash out.  There's also a "fair use" clause that allows small
verbatim extracts for certain uses.  I don't know if that would apply
here.

But in any case, there's no problem with extracting information from
copyrighted materials.  So send me any SPEC results or SPEC marks you
have, and I'll tabulate them.  I've got the SPECmarks and raw times
for the following:

DECStation 2100, 3100, 5400, 5810, 5000/200
Sun 4/260, SS1, SS330, SS490

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems