[comp.benchmarks] Final

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (02/12/91)

Here are all of the accumulated measurements on the pi program.

DEC VAX-9000 (VMS 5.4)       0.39 seconds    mk@uta.fi
IBM 3090-600S/VF (AIX370)    0.8  seconds    KXM@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
IBM RS/6000 model 540        1.15 seconds    rs0xeg@rohmhaas.com
IBM RS/6000 model 530        1.3  seconds    chriss@denali.ece.cmu.edu
IBM RS/6000 model 730        1.35 seconds    shair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
IBM RS/6000 model 320        1.68 seconds    twood@UCSD.EDU
IBM RS/6000 model 520        1.74 seconds    shair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
SGI Personal Iris 4D/35      1.8  seconds    wiltse@sgi.com
Cray Y/MP                    2.67 seconds    mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
MIPS Magnum workstation      2.8  seconds    mark@mips.com
DEC DECstation 5000/200CX    3.0  seconds    terry@venus.sunquest.com
Evans & Sutherland ESV/3     3.6  seconds    rthomson@dsd.es.com
SGI Personal Iris 4D/25      3.7  seconds    wiltse@sgi.com
Cray 2S                      4.15 seconds    KXM@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
HP 9000/400t                 4.6  seconds    dmnewton@UCSD.EDU
NeXTstation (68040)          4.8  seconds    andy@juno.caltech.edu
Compaq 386/33                5.1  seconds    suitti@ima.isc.com
Sun SPARCstation 2           5.1  seconds    mawa@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Compaq 486/25                5.1  seconds    suitti@ima.isc.com
DEC DECstation 2100          5.5  seconds    codex!peterd@uunet.UU.NET
Solbourne S4000              6.2  seconds    jmoore@Solbourne.COM
Compaq 386/25                6.8  seconds    suitti@ima.isc.com
Sun SPARCserver 4/330        8.5  seconds    alan@frey.newcastle.edu.au
Sun SPARCstation 1+          9.5  seconds    mark@mips.com
Apple MacIntosh MacII ci    10.0  seconds    torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Sun 3/60                    11.7  seconds    robp@anubis.network.com
Sun SPARCstation 1          11.8  seconds    mark@mips.com
MEiKO Surf/Transputer T800  13.49 seconds    rdd@ukc.ac.uk

If I might be permitted to editorialize, the *relative* performance
of the machines is quite unexpected, meaning that this benchmark
is probably unrepresentative of typical machine loads.

  (I mean, do you really think a VAX-9000 is 6.8X faster than a Cray Y/MP?)
                                 NeXT 040 is 1.1X faster than a Cray 2S?
                                 Mac II   is faster than a SPARCstation 1?

So, in conclusion, forget this benchmark :-).  Although fun, it's misleading.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Alfred A. Aburto) (02/13/91)

In article <45783@mips.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:

>If I might be permitted to editorialize, the *relative* performance
>of the machines is quite unexpected, meaning that this benchmark
>is probably unrepresentative of typical machine loads.
>
>  (I mean, do you really think a VAX-9000 is 6.8X faster than a Cray Y/MP?)
>                                 NeXT 040 is 1.1X faster than a Cray 2S?
>                                 Mac II   is faster than a SPARCstation 1?
>

>So, in conclusion, forget this benchmark :-).  Although fun, it's misleading.
>--
> -- Mark Johnson
> 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
>	(408) 524-8308    mark@mips.com  {or ...!decwrl!mips!mark}

----------
Mark,

Don't give up yet!  Here are some more results to consider:

VAX 8600 4.3 BSD UNIX (gcc -O)              4.2 sec
VAX 8600 4.3 BSD UNIX ( cc -O)              4.5 sec
Amiga 2000 (68030/33MHz, ICache ON,
	    DCache ON, Burst OFF)           9.6 sec
Amiga 2000 (68030/25MHz, ICache ON,
	    DCache ON, Burst OFF)          12.3 sec
Amiga 2000 (68030/25MHz, ICache OFF,
	    DCache OFF, Burst OFF)         14.3 sec
Grid LapTop  386/12.5MHz (Turbo C V2.0)   173.6 sec
Zenith Z-248 286/ 8.0MHz (Turbo C V2.0)   282.4 sec

The results may not represent (ahem) 'typical' usage, but they
are real results after all (as long as some didn't extraordinarily tweak
the code).

Al Aburto
aburto@marlin.nosc.mil

co@fy.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson) (02/14/91)

I've missed the pi benchmark because some problems at our
news-machine. Can anybody mail me an example of the program?

(I want to test it on my _slow_ 68008-based Xenix-machine.. :-) )

co@adagio.fy.chalmers.se or
co@chrom1.mednet.gu.se