[comp.benchmarks] SPECMARK where to get info.

jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) (02/22/91)

Sometime ago I saw a sequence of articles about SPECMARKS. I of
course did not record them and now someone is asking me about them.
Could some one mail me the info. As I recall it was some entity
with a test suite that test a machine in it's standard
configurations, as in send in a machine running un*x and get back a
SPECMARK.
--

John Clark
jclark@ucsd.edu

rnovak@mips.COM (Robert E. Novak) (02/26/91)

In article <16893@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jclark@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (John Clark) writes:
>Sometime ago I saw a sequence of articles about SPECMARKS. I of
>course did not record them and now someone is asking me about them.
>Could some one mail me the info. As I recall it was some entity
>with a test suite that test a machine in it's standard
>configurations, as in send in a machine running un*x and get back a
>SPECMARK.
>--
>
>John Clark
>jclark@ucsd.edu

     What is SPEC?

     SPEC is the Systems  Performance  Evaluation  Cooperative.   More
     simply   stated,  it  is  a  consortium  of  companies  that  are
     concerned about a level playing field on which both customers and
     vendors  can   measure   computer   system  performance.   SPEC's
     mission is to  create  a  realistic  yardstick  to  measure   the
     performance of advanced computer systems.

     What has SPEC done?  SPEC has released a suite of  10  benchmarks
     that  are  availabe  for  a  nominal  cost  to  anyone.  The SPEC
     Benchmark Release 1.0 is only the first of many suites which will
     encompass  a  broad  spectrum of tests of performance.  All 10 of
     these programs are primarily CPU-intensive in  nature.   Half  of
     the  programs  are  Fortran floating point intensive applications
     and the other half are C language integer intensive applications.
     Despite the overall CPU intensity of these applications, a number
     of I/O side-effects and  cache  organization  impacts  have  been
     noted with these applications.  For example, the espresso, fpppp,
     and tomcatv applications proved to be very memory intensive.  One
     measure   of   that   intensity  is  that only 4 of the published
     performance numbers to  date  have  been  run  on  less  than  16
     megabytes of memory.

     The gcc application (a portable C compiler) actually  performs  a
     healthy  amount  of  I/O,  but  the  code  generator  is  so  CPU
     intensive, that it dominates the performance  characteristics  of
     this application.

     The SPEC applications represent a large body  of  code  (over  14
     megabytes  of  source)   which   span   a  range  of  application
     arenas.   The membership  to  SPEC  is  open  to  any  interested
     company.    SPEC   is not  devoted  to  any  single  architecture
     nor  any  particular philosophy of computing systems.   SPEC  has
     created  a framework in which  a  wide  variety  of  applications
     can be tested by a very large audience of computer users.

     SPEC encourages end-users to use the suite for their own testing.
     To order SPEC, here are the 3 options:

     Option #1 - SPEC benchmark tape (source code on QIC-24 tar  tape)
     $300
     Option #2 - SPEC Newsletter only - $399
     Option #3 - SPEC Newsletter/Tape Combination $699

     Outside the U.S. and Canada, please add $25.

     For more information on SPEC, please contact SPEC  c/o  Waterside
     Associates  415/792-3334  or  write to them at (new address as of
     1/1/91):

     SPEC
     Waterside Associates
     39138 Fremont Blvd., 3rd Floor
     Fremont, CA. 94538

	 After 3/1/91:

	 Franson & Hagerty
	 181 Metro Drive
	 Suite 300
	 San Jose, CA 95110

	 PHONE: (408) 453-5220
	 FAX:   (408) 453-8723
--
Robert E. Novak                     Mail Stop 5-10, MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rnovak      950 DeGuigne Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94086