[comp.benchmarks] Upper bound on numbers of users

jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) (03/14/91)

Help!

I'm trying to compile a table for use here at the University that
summarizes, to some extent, different computer platforms.  I have
a little bit of information about machine performance--although
I've found getting something like SPECmarks on non-unix platforms
fairly difficult.

The "other" side of the issue is numbers of users a machine can
handle.

What I'd like, is to hear from other sites and try to get an
idea on the number of users actually using different machines
concurrently.  In other words, what machines are you running
and what's an "average" number of users?  I'm particularly
interested in any sites that run "large" (>5) numbers of users
on Workstations (we don't).

Here's a synopsis, by the way, of our site:

Computer        Memory     Disk    #accts   Avg # users    (Mips)    O.S.
IBM ES9000-210   128Mb    10000Mb   1020        200         (14?)    MVS
VAX 6310          32Mb     1800Mb    630         30         (10?)    VMS
IBM 9375          16Mb     1600Mb    470         40         ( 7?)    CMS
MicroVax-3500     16Mb     1400Mb    110         10         ( 6?)    Ultrix
MicroVax-II       11Mb      113Mb    160         10         ( 4?)    Ultrix

Type of use:
IBM ES9000-210  mostly on-line transactions, production programming (cobol)
VAX 6310        academic research and instruction
IBM 9375        email (PROFS) and instruction
MVAX-3500       academic research and instruction
MVAX-II         instruction

We have, as you might expect, other machines (DECStation 3100, Apollo
DN1000, IRIS 4D25G) but they are typically running with very few (<3)
users at a time.  Where do most sites put most of their users?  (And
why?)   ((Is there any reason--providing unlimited licensing is available--
not to run lots of users on workstations?))

If there is any interest in this I'll summarize.

Thanks!   John Campbell   CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.UCC.NAU.EDU
--
	John Campbell               jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

dmr2386@isc.rit.edu (D.M. Raynault ) (03/19/91)

	Hi,
	   I'm looking for some info on software and/or manuals for two
different computers:

	1.  an HP teminal 2647F, this HP has a 51/4" 13272A disk drive,

	2.  an Motorola EXORciser II microsystem, with an 8" disk drive,
printer, and EXORterm 155 terminal.

	I realize this is very old equipment but we have a bunch of
Engineering students that have nothing better to do than tring to get
these things working.

	Any and all info would be welcomed.

						David Raynault
						DMR2386@RITVAx

suitti@ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti) (03/20/91)

In article <3468@naucse.cse.nau.edu> jdc@naucse.cse.nau.edu (John Campbell) writes:
>I'm trying to compile a table...
>What I'd like, is to hear from other sites and try to get an
>idea on the number of users actually using different machines
>concurrently.  In other words, what machines are you running
>and what's an "average" number of users?  I'm particularly
>interested in any sites that run "large" (>5) numbers of users
>on Workstations (we don't).

At Purdue in '82 or '83, I recall VAX 780s with 45-50 users, instructional.

They also had dual CPU VAX 780s, with 100-120 users, instructional.
	Response could be termed sluggish.

In about '86, Purdue had an IBM 3083 (roughly 10 MIPS).  I've no
idea what the average user count was, but one time I noticed that
a particular 40 CPU second job was completed in 40 seconds of
real time, give or take a tenth of a second.  Then I noted that
there were 300 users logged in.  Presumably, most of the users
were editing - a task mainly handled by the block-mode terminals.
It isn't EMACS, but I was starting to have some appreciation for xedit.

Three years ago at Harvard, we ran uVAX IIs with 20-35 users
each, instructional.
	Response was adequate, but not awesome.

Computer        Memory     Disk    #accts   Avg # users    (Mips)    O.S.
VAX 780             8Mb     1-2Gb    1200         45           1      4.2 BSD
Dual 780           16Mb     1-2Gb   >1000        100           2      4.2 BSD
uVAX II            13Mb  .9-1.5Gb     200         30           1   Ultrix 2.0

It depends quite a bit on what you are doing with the machine.
In some environments, there are no users - just some application
which trashes the machine.  Two developers may bring a system to
its knees.  If the project is different, ten developers might not
have any problems with user response.

I've seen very good consistent user-response on multi-CPU
machines, such as from Sequent & Multimax.  With lots of CPUs, it
looked like you could run huge numbers of users.  I never saw
that many.

Stephen.
suitti@ima.isc.com

soper@encore.UUCP (Pete Soper,Cary NC,9194813730,9193624635) (03/22/91)

From article <1991Mar20.155013.18691@ima.isc.com>, by suitti@ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti):

> I've seen very good consistent user-response on multi-CPU
> machines, such as from Sequent & Multimax.  With lots of CPUs, it
> looked like you could run huge numbers of users.  I never saw
> that many.

  Multimax is the name of an Encore system. The model 320 I'm
typing this on has 12 32332 cpus and has 168 users logged on at
the moment; in the afternoon the number approaches 200. There are
other systems within Encore that support 150-200 users and this
does not count an unknown number of "invisible" xterm sessions.

Pete Soper (soper@encore.com)                           +1 919 481 3730
Encore Computer Corp, 901 Kildaire Farm Rd, bldg D, Cary, NC 27511  USA

evil@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (David Nye Evil) (03/23/91)

In article <14374@encore.Encore.COM> soper@encore.UUCP (Pete Soper,Cary NC,9194813730,9193624635) writes:
>From article <1991Mar20.155013.18691@ima.isc.com>, by suitti@ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti):
>>
>> I've seen very good consistent user-response on multi-CPU
>> machines, such as from Sequent & Multimax.  With lots of CPUs, it
>> looked like you could run huge numbers of users.  I never saw
>> that many.
>
>  Multimax is the name of an Encore system. The model 320 I'm
>typing this on has 12 32332 cpus and has 168 users logged on at
>the moment; in the afternoon the number approaches 200. There are
>other systems within Encore that support 150-200 users and this
>does not count an unknown number of "invisible" xterm sessions.

	I recently got a chance to play on a Sequent with 20+ processors
Lots of memory, etc..and I swear to gawd...it had *576* users with a load
of .7!!!!  Most of the users were Xterm clients doing general things
but some of them were software types compiling etc.  This was mid-afternoon
usages.

All you can say to that is WOW...IMHO... :)

-=Dave Nye

- Dave Nye,  a.k.a. -=TheEvilOne   -   evil@bbn.com   The Second Evil Empire  -
- AMIGA..need I say more?  }:)     -   evil@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu            -

dafuller@sequent.UUCP (David Fuller) (03/28/91)

In article <14374@encore.Encore.COM> soper@encore.UUCP (Pete Soper,Cary NC,9194813730,9193624635) writes:
>From article <1991Mar20.155013.18691@ima.isc.com>, by suitti@ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti):
>>
>> I've seen very good consistent user-response on multi-CPU
>> machines, such as from Sequent & Multimax.  With lots of CPUs, it
>> looked like you could run huge numbers of users.  I never saw
>> that many.
>
>  Multimax is the name of an Encore system. The model 320 I'm
>typing this on has 12 32332 cpus and has 168 users logged on at
>the moment; in the afternoon the number approaches 200. There are
>other systems within Encore that support 150-200 users and this
>does not count an unknown number of "invisible" xterm sessions.

The Sequent S2000/700 I'm on right now has 500+ users.  I just completed
a benchmark where we emulated 1260 simutaneous Ingres sessions with
excellent response times.

>Pete Soper (soper@encore.com)                           +1 919 481 3730
>Encore Computer Corp, 901 Kildaire Farm Rd, bldg D, Cary, NC 27511  USA

--
Dave Fuller
Sequent Computer Systems		  Think of this as the hyper-signature.