[comp.benchmarks] IOzone V1.02 Sequential file I/O benchmark UNIX,VMS,MS-DOS,OSF/1,Xenix

debra@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Paul De Bra) (03/27/91)

In article <4209@ryn.mro4.dec.com> norcott@databs.enet.dec.com (Bill Norcott) writes:
>Attached is a benchmark called IOzone which I have written.  It was inspired
>by Alvin Park's IOstone benchmark (which tests random access I/O).  IOzone
>tests sequential file I/O using the C language.  It writes, then reads, a
>sequential file of fixed length records, and measures the read & write
>rates in bytes per second.  The default is to create a 1 megabyte file
>consisting of 2048, 512-byte records -- however, these parameters can be
>changed from the command line.

Writing 512-byte records is not a good way to measure sequential file I/O
on most systems. To maximize throughput one should use the same block size
as the file system (these days that's 4k or 8k on most systems except some
old system V systems, pre release 4, that use 1k or 2k file systems).

One important remark to make about the results is that if the measured
throughput is in the order of 80kbytes/sec or less it means that the
file-system gapsize (or the disk-interleaving which is worse) is set
too low, meaning you can write only 1 block per disk revolution.

Paul.
(debra@win.tue.nl)

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (04/04/91)

Bill> It is true that you can get the highest number by matching IOzone's
Bill> record size to the particular file syste's block size.  You can
Bill> REALLY get great measured transfer rate by running on a quiet system
Bill> which has a buffer cache much bigger than the file size.

Under SVr4 and SunOS 4.x, the effective size of the buffer cache is _all
available RAM_.  The _only_ reliable way to flush all file buffers is to
umount the file system.  I've been told this is also true of several other
UNIX variants.
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com