[comp.benchmarks] Transactions per second

gnatz@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Rupert Gnatz) (05/14/91)

Is there somebody out there who can tell me whether there is some sort
of a standardized definition of that measure:  *Transactions per second*.

I would appreciate some references.

Thanks
     Rupert

alfred@dutepp13.et.tudelft.nl (Alfred Kayser) (05/15/91)

gnatz@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Rupert Gnatz) writes:
>Is there somebody out there who can tell me whether there is some sort
>of a standardized definition of that measure:  *Transactions per second*.

>I would appreciate some references.
Me too, especially I'm seeking some figure about SQL query processing
times for reasonable fast workstations such as Sparcs and RS6000's.

Thanks in advance, Alfred

--
-- Ir. Alfred Kayser. PACS, OS/2, TCP/IP. --- Email: AKayser@et.tudelft.nl --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --

sdo@cbnewsl.att.com (scott.orshan) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May14.083738.8899@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> gnatz@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Rupert Gnatz) writes:

>Is there somebody out there who can tell me whether there is some sort
>of a standardized definition of that measure:  *Transactions per second*.
>
>I would appreciate some references.

The most standard measure I can think of for Transactions per Second
is to count the number of transactions and divide by the number
of seconds :-)

If you'd like to restrict yourself to database transactions, the
Transaction Processing Performance Council has a couple of benchmarks defined,
and they are working on a couple of others.

TPC can be reached at:

	TPC
	c/o Shanley Public Relations
	777 N. First St., Suite 600
	San Jose, CA 95112-6113
	408-295-8894

There's also a good book on the topic:

	Performance Analysis of Transaction Processing Systems
	by Wilbur H. Highleyman
	1989
	Prentice Hall
	ISBN 0-13-657008-9